Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon Afocal

Bigwings

A couple more tweaked a bit in iPhoto. I posted others in sketches and unusual images.

I want to get good at Afocal and move from moon to planets and try DSO even though the pundits will say this is not the way to go. Hints and guidance most welcome.

Clear Skies

Mike

post-15088-133877376171_thumb.jpg

post-15088-133877376178_thumb.jpg

post-15088-133877376184_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike Can you post soem more info on the camera and settigns used please... I'll then dig out the camera manual online and see what its capable of...

The focus is very good , theres quite a bit of jpeg artefact noise in the images so dropping the ISO speed if thats possible would be a good thing. If you can use exposure compensationt he set it to -1 ot -2 stops and see what the resulkta are like ... it's better to under expose the image and then "stretch" it int he processing rather than having over exposed areas .. once the data has clipped then theres nothing that you can do to get ant info/detail back out of it...

Peter...

These are excellent Mike, there's some cracking detail in there, a good job! I particularly like the second one, the colour seems a little more natural. I'm with Peter - in my (limited) experience of lunar afocal it definitely is better to under expose... it's amazing how much more detail comes through when image isn't too 'glarey'.

Great work, looking forward to more from you

Amanda

Hi Peter, The info is below.

I can use RAW format but being unfamiliar with it tend to stick to my happy snappy format. Would you recommend that I change? I am a Mac user so processing apps may need to be changed.

Thanks for your kind comment Amanda I like your moonshots also.

Its difficult when a novice processor to know what colour the moon should be showing.

The camera Panasonic DMC FZ18. Great all round camera with a good telephoto up to 800mm but lens fixed on unlike DSLR's

Method

Apature priority with manual focus. The exposure was adjusted in the LCD to give a good image and autobracket used which causes the camera to take three frames + or - an adjustable exposure value.

Selftimer shutter actuation.

Shutter 1/250 f7.1 ISO 1600 Exposure Bias -1.66

Clear Skies

Mike

Hi Mike as promised I have gone through the manual - forgot i bought one of these for the girls in work to use a few months ago ....

Check out the following pages in the manual

Manual Exposure P51

Manual Focus P52 or alternatively SPOT AF mode P78

Metering Mode (SPOT) on P78

ISO setting on P74...

Peter....

Archived