NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Funny Old Sky

The sky was mostly clear last night when I set up about 10-00pm.

I'd bought and fitted a new 8x50 right angled finderscope and wanted to try this out in conjunction with the setting circles.

Whilst the outfit was cooling down (only takes 15 minutes) I used the binos to have look see.

There seemed to be clouds threatening Jupiter low in the S.E., so I turned the scope on Jupiter first. Of course I didn't need either the 8x50 finderscope or the setting circles to find it. Whilst I was at it I tried a variety of EP's and coloured filters. The 7mm lanthanum @ 142x with a mid orange filter seemed to give the best view. It brought out the banding on the planet.

Looking up from the scope I found that the sky had clouded up to such an extent that there was literally only one object in the sky (apart from Jupiter) - you guessed it - it was Saturn. Another object easy to find without the finder or setting circles.

Got a good view of Saturn - as usual I managed a higher magnification on Saturn than Jupiter - this time the 5mm lanthanum @200x. I don't ever remember only being able to see two planets in the sky and nothing else - it was strange.

The clouds then rolled over Saturn as well and I packed it in at 11.00pm.

Just before I climbed into bed I looked out the window - of course it was as clear as a bell.

That's astronomy for you!

MD

I know what you mean. I came home on the bus last night under a blue sky with just a few high, wispy clouds, and looked outside when I got home to a sky that was clear, but too bright for stars. Made some dinner, and went out after to find that the sky had clouded up with broken high cloud, and all I could see was Spica, through a gap in the clouds.

Went downstairs and watched House and Boston Legal. Took the dog out at 11:00, and lo and behold, the sky was clear again, although the transparency was its usual mudiness.

Ya never can tell. If the same circumstances prevail tonight, I'll set up the scope anyway, as I'm hoping to catch my first shadow transit.

WH

I know that it was really my fault that the sky clouded over -

you know what happens when you buy new stuff.

How about an international astronomy 'Don't Buy Any New Equipment Week'?. We'd then all be sure to get a cloud free night sky for at least a week!

MD

That' OK, I'm 5,000 km away, and you'd have to buy a $20,000 Ritchey-Chretien to get cloud way over here. Turns out I was wrong about the shadow transit last night, but I wanted to get a look at the comet, having realized that it is well-placed for evening viewing (duh!) and the sky clouded up in the east, leaving me with nothing to look at.

My new scope is a used scope, so does it count?

That' OK, I'm 5,000 km away, and you'd have to buy a $20,000 Ritchey-Chretien to get cloud way over here. Turns out I was wrong about the shadow transit last night, but I wanted to get a look at the comet, having realized that it is well-placed for evening viewing (duh!) and the sky clouded up in the east, leaving me with nothing to look at.

My new scope is a used scope, so does it count?

Sorry but it still counts WH

naz :D

Archived