Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Took time out tonight to make sure I saw an Iridium Flare at 23:06, NW at 26º. I almost missed it by lollygagging over to the back garden, but caught it in all its -7 glory just as it flared and moved behind the leaves of my neighbour's tree. This is Iridium 49, and this marks the third time I have seen it.

I have all the easy ones now. The ones that are not on my list are ones that occur early in the summer mornings, or on winter evenings when the sky is usually cloudy.

I also caught the ISS a few minutes later, rising at 0 magnitude from the west. In my binoculars it looked like a - (dash) rather than a dot. Stars are pretty good points in the binocs, so I am wondering if the shape I was seeing was a little bit of the structure of the thing. It occurs to me it wouldn't be hard to set up the telescope to catch it and see if I can see any details at a higher magnification.

Hi Warthog

Thats it, you have got me intrested in Iridium Flares after reading this.

Never seen one but I'm going to try and bag myself now.

By the way what is "lollygagging" (sorry but my simple English education has been sadly neglected).

Paul

Nope, it just means 'ambling', or 'dawdling'. I heard it a lot when I was a kid, as in, "Stop lollygagging and get over here!"

You live and learn Warthog & Barkis.

Thanks for the explanation.

Paul

Archived