Better planetary imaging scope?

GazOC

I know this sounds lazy, but I'm not in the mood to set the two scopes up and get an answer myself. So here goes... :lol:

Do you reckon I'd get images any better using my 150mm f8 (1200mm) refractor and MV filter with 4x Barlow than my 150 f 12 Mak (1800) and 2x barlow?

I ask because setting the frac up stops me using my Newt at the same time whereas I can set my Mak up and the Newt at the same time.

Rob i know that Maks are great planetary scopes but for

planetary imaging its important to get the F ratio up around

F 30 - 40 for the best results.

Then again if your frac is not up to the job the Mak will have to do i suppose :lol:

So which one gives the best views? I'm interested now as i can't seem to get my Mak. to do imaging. Visually it rocks, but stick a webcam up it and it sulks for some reason. The Newt. loves imaging but the images are smaller than I'd like and it's a marginally bigger setting up job. If I can't get the OMC140 to image, I think I'll get shut as my skies only allow imaging due to LP.

Captain Chaos

The refractor gives the better planetary views by far if you don't mind the CA. Where the Mak "wins" is that it takes a EQ6 to mount a 6" refractor but only a EQ3/2 for a 6" Mak.

I think a fairer comparision would be a 5"-6" Mak against an ED100, similar cost and similar mounts required.

Archived