Canon Mount Celestron Nexstar 6slt

Hi,

I would like to use my old Canon 550d to take photos on my Celestron Nexstar 6SLT.  I have found a few different adaptors but I’m a complete novice and don’t really know what I’m looking at.

Can anyone recommend an adaptor/mount that will allow me to achieve this please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

15 hours ago, Elp said:

What mount is the telescope sitting on?

Nexstar SLT. Similar to the Synscan AZ-GOTO.

16 hours ago, DMR said:

Can anyone recommend an adaptor/mount that will allow me to achieve this please?

Firstly, check that the visual back (the tube that screws in to the rear of the telescope) has an external thread on the rear of it. If it does then all you will need is the correct t-ring adapter to suit your camera body. If it doesn't, then you will need the Celestron SCT t-adapter to replace the visual back plus the camera t-ring Celestron SCT T-Adapter 50mm | First Light Optics .

Be aware that imaging with your setup will be a challenge! You might be able to get it to work for solar system targets or very bright DSO such as the Orion nebula were you can get away with short exposures. The main issue is that you have a long focal length telescope on a budget Alt-Az mount so field rotation and tracking accuracy will be an issue,. Depending on where in the sky you are pointing you will probably be limited to individual exposure lengths of between 1s to 10s at best to avoid star trailing. Unfortunately short exposures with a "slow" f:10 telescope using an unmodified DSLR will produce dim and noisy images. But it can be done if you are prepared to stack many hundreds of short exposures. 

Hello DMR, and welcome to SGL.

This is what I use with my Nikon DSLR.

D3200withTringandadaptor.jpg.e7e2d62c495165a79d3b3f1c8c319fee.jpg

This fits my 'scopes in place of an eyepiece + diagonal. To get a good mount balance, you will probably need to slide your OTA's dovetail plate a bit forwards in the mount's clamp. To achieve focus with my Newtonian OTA's I have to replace the T to 1.25" adaptor with an equivalent incorporating a x2 Barlow lens.

Geoff