Help processing the Veil nebula

I recently took just over an hour of data on the Veil from Bortle 9. I appreciate that it's not ideal conditions, but I'm having trouble pulling the nebula out from the huge number of stars. Just curious about what one can pull out of my data? I've attached the stacked fits file below.result.fit

I had a wee play around with your data in PixInsight. There's quite a lot of what looks like Walking Noise on the background, this could be caused by not dithering. I reduced it as much as I could but it's still there.

There were also a couple of horizontal bands across the image, which are normally caused by using a Canon DSLR for capture? There's a script in PixInsight for removing these and there's also one for Photoshop as well. ;)  Anyway, I stretched the image slightly and removed the stars, just to keep them in the background, so to speak. Then continued to stretch the background with the nebula.

A few tweaks with curves to highlight the nebula & darken the background, then noise reduction and add the stars back in to the image.

I'd say you need to dither and get a few more hours worth of data but the image is there and the framing takes in the whole of the Veil, so keep going. :D

Nerf_Caching.thumb.png.5c9bcc99cbbde8e847edfbca9ccbbeb2.png

• Like 1

I had a go at this is Pixinsight, @Nerf_Caching, but got about the same as @Budgie1.  The signal seems barely above the background.  

The same old recommendation from me too.  More data required.  I also suggest you use a dual band filter. Ha/OIII for this target.  That will help combat the sky brightness.  Other filters are available that might help against light pollution too.  Maybe someone else here might recommend one?  

I've used the Optolong Lenhance and Lextreme on this target. The SVbony SV220 is a cheaper alternative. Note these are HA/O3 filters, won't work on galaxies or broadband/reflection targets, for that maybe a UHC filter (though most forums state just image luminence or without a filter, high LP areas require magnitudes more imaging time compared to the next bortle).

Edited by Elp