Wizard Neb. with additional data

Skipper Billy

Hi David.

Nice image and lots of drama in this object.

On my screen I can't help but notice a distinct magenta tint to the background sky, which I guess also pervades the star of the show.

Sampling the background the red and blue levels are much higher than the green - suggesting magenta.

Screenshot2024-09-29at12_49_35.thumb.jpg.326456da7e7ec991da0acdade54d2e2e.jpg

I know this is a hugely subjective type of thing but if you remove the magenta the Wizard takes on quite a different appearance which I think is more pleasing but may not be what you like or intended, in which case my apologies for highlighting this. I also removed the green noise from the image which changes the appearance of the blue.

Screenshot2024-09-29at12_56_08.thumb.png.48c404385bd5812035e728114045a25f.png

Hope this is of interest.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
clarification
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Adreneline said:

I know this is a hugely subjective type of thing but if you remove the magenta the Wizard takes on quite a different appearance which I think is more pleasing but may not be what you like or intended, in which case my apologies for highlighting this. I also removed the green noise from the image which changes the appearance of the blue.

Thanks Adrian

It doesnt look like it has a magenta cast on my mchine at home that I used for processing but on the calibrated screen at work it looks awful - a really strong Magenta cast as you rightly point out.

Looks like I need to calibrate my home screen!

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to point this out for me.

What process did you use for removing the green noise??

All the best

David aka Skipper Billy

31 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

What process did you use for removing the green noise??

Hi David.

I used PixInsight SCNR to remove both the magenta and the green. Inverting the image and applying SCNR gets rid of the magenta cast and then re-inverting and applying SCNR gets rid of the green cast. I'm afraid I am a committed PI person so I really don't know how to do it in any other software but I am sure there are ways. Lots of people view SCNR as being destructive but as you point out it is a noise removal process - Subtractive Chromatic Noise Reduction - and I find it incredibly useful in my SHO imaging as I am not a fan of the traditional "Hubblesque" palette.

Adrian

P.S. The Rad PBs are still going strong - they both have several hundred miles under their tyres now - and our bums!

41 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi David.

I used PixInsight SCNR to remove both the magenta and the green. Inverting the image and applying SCNR gets rid of the magenta cast and then re-inverting and applying SCNR gets rid of the green cast. I'm afraid I am a committed PI person so I really don't know how to do it in any other software but I am sure there are ways. Lots of people view SCNR as being destructive but as you point out it is a noise removal process - Subtractive Chromatic Noise Reduction - and I find it incredibly useful in my SHO imaging as I am not a fan of the traditional "Hubblesque" palette.

Adrian

P.S. The Rad PBs are still going strong - they both have several hundred miles under their tyres now - and our bums!

Cheers Adrian

I will have a play in Pixi once I have calibrated my screen - thanks for taking the time out.

I am just about able to get my leg across a bike now following majoy surgery and I retire in 2 weeks so watch out!! Tour de France here I come - maybe not!!

All the best.

David

There's still a bit of magenta in the background on that one, David.

Another tool in PI is under Script > Utilities > CorrectMagentaStars - With the stars removed it will also work on the background, no need to invert the image with this one. ;)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

this should look better......

Definitely better but on my screen still showing a magenta tint (as confirmed by Martin @Budgie1) and as confirmed by PI, where the R and B are still noticeably above G:

Screenshot2024-09-29at17_30_52.thumb.jpg.02119387e08346d5f2e23ea6cbcd57e9.jpg

54 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I am just about able to get my leg across a bike now following majoy surgery and I retire in 2 weeks so watch out!! Tour de France here I come - maybe not!!

Glad to hear things are progressing well - just remember "slow and steady wins the race".

Adrian

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

There's still a bit of magenta in the background on that one, David.

Another tool in PI is under Script > Utilities > CorrectMagentaStars - With the stars removed it will also work on the background, no need to invert the image with this one. ;)

Cheers Martin

• Like 1