16 hours plus maybe another 8

50 minutes ago, Elp said:

That's a decent amount of time, maybe it's not very bright. It's not one I've done myself.

Think it's mag 7 which seems pretty bright. Not sure how accurate that is.

I've decided to go safer tonight. Na America supposed to be mag 4 so I'm trying Cygnus wall (I think) until 3am then hopefully 2 hours on b33. 

Moon is very very bright :(

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

It was incredibly bright last night at full phase, I wouldn't even attempt OSC unfiltered.

hence me using my narrowband filter, but it seems too much for even that. as i have been told :)

at least the Ha data ok, so not a total waste of time for b33, maybe i can re-use it with some broadband on b33 later in year.

quick preview stretch of (i think lol) Cygnus Wall. Very strong moon but seems a better choice of target than cave nebula from previous evening. whether i add to this tonight or not im not sure. will take more time processing this when its darker, so this is likely very over done :( still not too bad for 6 hours considering.

image.thumb.jpeg.dcb3a6463ecb63679b9d99256f47c970.jpeg

• Like 3

You're really churning out the images, I don't know how you do it.

I've only managed to get about 5-6 hours of data since the weekend as I can't do the 3-4am finish with work the following day.

What's your secret? Are you sponsored by Redbull??

Lastly, my vote is for you to add more data to NA, you'll end up with a nice image.

Jon

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

I've only managed to get about 5-6 hours of data since the weekend as I can't do the 3-4am finish with work the following day.

Lastly, my vote is for you to add more data to NA, you'll end up with a nice image.

Jon

Yeah I think that's the only sensible thing to do with moon out.

I did get 8000 seconds on b33 to add to my previous 1200 sec :) I'm even getting some yellow in flame nebula.

I'm full time carer and it's generally quiet for me after 6 or 7pm. And yes I drink to much red bull.

I might make a lot of images, they're just not very good. I was going to use these couple back to back clear nights for cave nebula but it didn't seem to like full moon.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

17 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

Jon

Can you not go sleep while your scope is busy? After setting a sequence for wall and then horsehead and pressing start I had no need to touch my set up.

Of course, I did decide to touch it to make my focus worse, but then I'm an idiot.

• Like 1

I live in St Helens only a few miles from Liverpool, you shouldn't leave your car outside, let alone scope!

In all seriousness, my garden isn't fenced off from all sides and I don't think I could sleep knowing my kit is outside in full view.

I would however like to see someone run off with my new rig 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Green said:

I live in St Helens only a few miles from Liverpool, you shouldn't leave your car outside, let alone scope!

In all seriousness, my garden isn't fenced off from all sides and I don't think I could sleep knowing my kit is outside in full view.

I would however like to see someone run off with my new rig 😂

I'm just down road. Back garden is relatively secure. Only had house broken into for car keys once in last five years :(

7 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I'm just down road. Back garden is relatively secure. Only had house broken into for car keys once in last five years :(

Funnily enough I had the same thing happen to me in the first year living where I am (originally from Reading).

An over the top security system has hopefully done the trick.

Good luck later, I'm hoping to gather more data for my first image with the 130PHQ!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Can you not go sleep while your scope is busy?

I don't particularly understand how you get the hours either.

Regarding the above, you'll understand once your equipment gets rained upon. Luckily mine never has, but I only setup if the forecast is showing clear many towns away, experience has shown me many times not to setup with nearby cloud forecast. It's not worth risking thousands of pounds of equipment getting potentially damaged, but people's mileage will vary.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

Funnily enough I had the same thing happen to me in the first year living where I am (originally from Reading).

An over the top security system has hopefully done the trick.

Good luck later, I'm hoping to gather more data for my first image with the 130PHQ!

can't wait to see what you get with that beast.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elp said:

I don't particularly understand how you get the hours either.

Regarding the above, you'll understand once your equipment gets rained upon. Luckily mine never has, but I only setup if the forecast is showing clear many towns away, experience has shown me many times not to setup with nearby cloud forecast. It's not worth risking thousands of pounds of equipment getting potentially damaged, but people's mileage will vary.

i guess i take risks with weather. only been caught out twice and i had my premium B&M telescope cover handy. was very lucky though. also i can set up in 8 minutes and can tear down (no flats) the scope from the mount in like 20 sec. 

its been clear two nights on the run here which i don't think i've ever seen before. at least not since i started astroing.

just today i invested in a premium power supply/gang extender from The Range lol :) currently custom modding it :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Elp said:

I normally have to wait at least 3-4 weeks for a clear sky. It's like old school mail order service all over again (how did people put up with it?).

well i admit i wouldn't go to sleep unless all five of my weather apps were in complete agreement on 6+ hours clear skies.

also as a beginner, i guess im more prepared to risk imaging just to get more experience. 

also, as everyone on here is so nice, have a free bonus image :

just a preview stretch etc of 1200sec previous night plus 6000sec last night. im really quite happy with this and can't wait to try broadband on it. also happy because this and cygnus wall seem be moving away from my  usual 1970s palette of brown and orange :)

b336840secNBmooncropac.thumb.jpg.ca13b4624c8128f1cd4d8767378f67eb.jpg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

I'm going to be waiting until November time to get a chance on the Horsehead due to trees I need rid of.

In the meantime Tiffs is finding a way to image the Carina Nebula! 🤣

I'm lucky it seems to arc over house at rear and over to neighbours garden to west. Might get 8 hours on it in December not sure.

Also....I have spent  time trying to find eta carina  :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Third night running lol. Wisps of high cloud but so what? :)

Doing more on Cygnus wall until about 2:45 then m42

Tempted to try M42 just for science reasons, light cloud supposed to clear later. Doin 60 second subs for 90 mins, then  maybe 30 mins of 30sec might be ok for trapezium. Whether I can combine them in gimp is another matter :)

3 nights imaging on the run is a new Olympic record

Here is my previous best, from back in January :) I was most impressed.

result_3011s-Copyquickteststretch.thumb.jpg.f8814914ec7542604da517b3e7cb8ece.jpg

screen shot of one 30sec sub narrowband. when i woke up and saw this i said "wow" outloud lol..... (again). cloudy out though now :(

image.thumb.jpeg.eed5eb1b58c70314ce1edec98a0783ff.jpeg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

preview stretch of my m42 87x60sec. can just about see trapezium? of course i want to stretch it more there's outer detail there, but if i do that i lose core. will try and play with masks in gimp or something. also still have about 40x30sec exposures i haven't looked at yet. was a bit cloudy after 3am last night when i shot these. and moon :(

image.thumb.jpeg.722945bf7a86e8b9cbcbb4ee62a5b5ed.jpeg

26 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

preview stretch of my m42 87x60sec. can just about see trapezium? of course i want to stretch it more there's outer detail there, but if i do that i lose core. will try and play with masks in gimp or something. also still have about 40x30sec exposures i haven't looked at yet. was a bit cloudy after 3am last night when i shot these. and moon :(

image.thumb.jpeg.722945bf7a86e8b9cbcbb4ee62a5b5ed.jpeg

Definitely got that 70's colour pallete you mentioned down to a tee 😉

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

Definitely got that 70's colour pallete you mentioned down to a tee 😉

just a quick preview. i'd say my m42 (above) is much more mid to late 70s though....

it only a quick preview, ill get it looking nicer i think. 

1 minute ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

just a quick preview. i'd say my m42 (above) is much more mid to late 70s though....

it only a quick preview, ill get it looking nicer i think. 

I'd be interested in seeing an 80's vibe.

• Like 1