Remote desktop dropout whilst using NINA.

Hello, I'm hoping someone here has had a similar issue and can advise. I've got my mount set up outside (has minipc) and my laptop inside on my kitchen table, I still get drop outs when using remote desktop from the laptop. Iv tried wiring a tp link WiFi booster into the mini pc at the mount but still it happens. I set up the minipc by watching  quiv the lazy geeks vid on youtube guide by setting up a minipc hotspot.. is there a way to boost the minipc hotspot back to the laptop? So I think the tp link using my home WiFi is just on the range limit. Iv also tried using my phone as a hotspot and made sure the phone was in-between them both. Distance is about 6;7 meters apart. See pics attached. Is it the hotspot from.the minipc that's the issue or my home WiFi range? Anyone else had something similar and did you manage to resolve it? 
Sorry for the long winded explanation.

IMG_20240916_224236.jpg

IMG_20240916_224246.jpg

Edited by Dunc78

I find two things that impact on RD. The first is windows updates and the second is our smart speaker. I always pull the plug on the speaker and power up the PC's at least an hour before dark to give time for updates to download. I then check to see if any are pending install before starting an imaging session.

15 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

I find two things that impact on RD. The first is windows updates and the second is our smart speaker. I always pull the plug on the speaker and power up the PC's at least an hour before dark to give time for updates to download. I then check to see if any are pending install before starting an imaging session.

I have the same problem using my dedicated pc for our security cameras, I was advised to stop automatic updates and only manually update the pc when I had turned off the security software.

I had a similar issue with my mini PC.  It turned out that USB3 and 5G WiFi do not like each other. My mini PC was switching to the 5G home network and the connection was dropping. Once I switched to a 2G WiFi network all the problems went away. This may not be your issue but you never know.

Michael.

Looking at the picture one thing I would do is fix a couple of terry clips to the back of the wifi unit so it could be clipped onto one of the tripod legs, the one that would be closest to your router.

Also download Vistumbler on your laptop and run it with the rig set up and running. This software will show all the wifi networks with channel numbers used and signal strength.

watching the RSSI for your wifi will tell you a lot.

Thanks for the advice, hmm been walking around with a WiFi strength app. I'm assuming WiFi doesn't like vacuum? As my sliding double glazed doors cuts alot of the signal. Once opened get 90-95% signal. Down to 15-20 % with them shut.  Unfortunately I obviously cant keep the doors open in winter. And I can't see how I can run an ethernet cable outside either.  Ive was told maybe a travel router at the mount/mini pc may be the way forward?? But will that leave me with the same problem though? 

IMG_20240917_113447.jpg

Edited by Dunc78

you can send ethernet signal down a power lead. an adpater on one end adaptor on other end and a ethernet into your router EOP ethernet over power. it might struggle via gang adapters etc, but might be fine. 

you tuber sky story has a video on chaining a series of wifi extenders from his 'cottage' to his obsie. one extender should be enough for you.

i think they're probably your two best bets.

1 hour ago, Dunc78 said:

Thanks for the advice, hmm been walking around with a WiFi strength app. I'm assuming WiFi doesn't like vacuum? As my sliding double glazed doors cuts alot of the signal. Once opened get 90-95% signal. Down to 15-20 % with them shut.  Unfortunately I obviously cant keep the doors open in winter. And I can't see how I can run an ethernet cable outside either.  Ive was told maybe a travel router at the mount/mini pc may be the way forward?? But will that leave me with the same problem though? 

IMG_20240917_113447.jpg

You've given me an idea so I've just put it to the test. I've been using a TP-Link travel router to extend the poor wifi range of my Asiair Plus. The Asiair is now dying as far as wifi connecctivity goes (I've got a new mini arriving today) so the TP-Link router is redundant.

I've just hooked it up to my very basic Beelink that I've been running in Windows remote desktop from my laptop. Connection has always been a problem so I frequently have to connect the beelink to a monitor and keyboard before use just to confirm it's connected to my home network.

Now I've just installed the travel router to the Beelink and powered it to the same power brick that powers the Beelink, opened the laptop and connected to the router network and had an immediate connection to the Beelink. I can open Sharpcap and Firecapture easily and look at files on the Beelink.

To test reception I've left the Beelink in the garden and moved the laptop around the ground floor to several rooms and it seems to operate well even going through several walls and a double glazed conservatory, it does seem to be too good to be true. The real test would be to actually do some imaging of course.

Edited by LaurenceT

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

you can send ethernet signal down a power lead. an adpater on one end adaptor on other end and a ethernet into your router EOP ethernet over power. it might struggle via gang adapters etc, but might be fine.

Powerline Adapters do work across extension reels - just how well will depend on the total length of the wiring between the two adapters. I have an external power point in the garden that is a spur off my garage so l plug one of the adapters in to that; I get about ~10Mb/s  with my ASIAir which is fine, stable too. I have (today) put an external WiFi AP in the garden (TP-Link) but haven't tried the ASIAir with it yet.

Chris

Edited by CheshireChris
Typos
  • Like 1