Meade LXD75 Handset cable RJ45

hal9550

Hi all

Im wondering if i can get some info on a cable replacement for my Meade LXD75 Handset cable. I want to be clear about what it is i am looking for:

-The cable connects the LXD75 Handset (autostar)

-To the Control Box of the LXD75

It probably seems like i am being overly simplifying, and stating the obvious here! But iv been looking for a few hours, and there are an alarming number of threads on various forums, which seem to lose their way on this. I thought i had it nailed, and then it turned out the cable being discussed was the one which connects the two motors. Also there are a lot of different Meade autostar cables for differeing models (ETX, LX10, LXD90, LXD200)

I just dont want to end up with the wrong one, and damage the system. Years ago i looked into this, and it seemed there was an OEM network cable which would have served perfectly - is it a straight cable? Or a Straight Thru Cable? On several forums i found mention of Pin Configs being 12345678 to 87654321 - this seems likely as when i hold the cables next to one another, with the same 'side' up, they seem to be mirror images in terms of the cable layout

Hopefully someone clarify matters for me

Thanks in advance

EDIT just added a pic of the cable im looking to get

meade cable.jpeg

Edited by hal9550

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/658183-meade-lx90-autostar-497-cable-pinout/

Found this, which refers to a rollover cable? Apparently its quite common and more durable than the original cable - 

Definitely still want some tips if anyone has any ideas - Has anyone used this standard Rollover cable with a Meade telescope? Any pitfalls to avoid? Or is it in fact the wrong cable! 

thanks again - 

If the cable colours are a mirror image when held side by side then the 'rollover' wiring configuration is the one you need. You can get the Startech cable  from Amazon for £4.71

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Cisco-Console-Rollover-Cable/dp/B004Z9YG5W/

One of the Amazon comments says it's the cable needed for connecting a 497 handset to an ETX scope. It looks like it's the same one you need too.

If you want to post a photo of the two connectors side by side showing the cable colours for confirmation, please do so. 🙂

Alan

Edited by symmetal

1 minute ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

It looks to be an RJ45 ethernet crossover cable i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable, so if you have the right crimp tools, connectors & cable, you could make one up to any length as required.

Sorry, it's not an ethernet crossover cable which just reverses the TX and RX pins only. 🙂

Alan 

Types of cables for Meades:

1. Coiled Autostar handbox cable for ETX and LXD mounts - you need this.

2. Coiled Autostar handbox cable for LX200GPS/ACF, LX400, LX600 and LX850 type mounts with the Autostar II handbox.

3. #505 cable for updating firmware on ETX, LX90, LXD type mounts.

4. #507 for updating firmware on Autostar II mounts such as LX200GPS etc.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2024 at 18:54, symmetal said:

Sorry, it's not an ethernet crossover cable which just reverses the TX and RX pins only. 🙂

Alan 

from what i have seen, and bare with me!!!

The pinouts are flipped entirely - that is 1-8, 2-7, etc  - so on paper its 12345678 connecting to 87654321

This is (so i have been told) called a Cisco Rollover cable - if someone could confirm this, it would be great

I have a possible sale of my spare mounting equipment, but i only have one cable between two LXD75s - and i would REALLY like to keep my cable - but ensure that the other person has no further expenses on his end, in obtaining a cable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_cable

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

Yes, that's the wiring of a Rollover cable. I posted the Amazon link for the Star-Tech Cisco Rollover cable in my first post above. 🙂

Alan

thanks very much Alan - i will now be able to proceed - I think this autostar thing has confused the hell out of me,  - repeatedly - the model number, the cable - compatibility with other scopes/mounts -

I do appreciate it , it will save some cash so

• Like 1