3 Images taken during clear (HOT!!!) Spell

carastro

I have been struggling with my SkyShedPod dome being in the way for high targets, and whilst I have a POD Zenith table it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to get this on and off at night with ageing strength and creeping arthritis.  So daren't take it off again at night but Cygnus is directly overhead!!!  So decided to pitch the rig on the lawn next to the POD for a few nights as the forecast was looking good.  Here it is partly set up, followed by it in action at night, pointing straight up (Photo brightened a bit so you can actually see something.  I am in Bortle 8 but still hard for a Smartphone to cope.  

Kit in garden Aug 2024.jpeg

Kit in action at night.JPG

Edited by carastro
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Soooo........

I decided to do 1) Sh2-115 having seen Rodd's lovely version which inspired me as I had only done it either widefield or in HaRGB previously. 

2) Followed by The Little Rosette also in SHO only having done it in HaRGB previously,

3) Followed by collecting some Ha to add to my 2018 Cocoon Nebula.

First off

Sh2-115 - Bortle 8 SE London. Dual rig, ED80/Atik460EX, ED72/Atik460EX on HEQ5

Ha, 37 x 600, Oiii and Sii 9 x 600 binned x 2 each 

total imaging time 9h 10mins 

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 22

Posted (edited)

I am putting all this in one thread, save repeating the rig on the lawn story.

Second image

Cocoon Nebula Sh2-170.  Had to take this over two nights, as still noisy even after 2 nights (Guess it needs darker skies.

Same kit as Sh2-115

Ha 39 x 600  (6 1/2 hours) 
Oiii 25 x 600 binned x 2 (4 hours 10mins)
Sii 12 x 600 binned x 2 (2 hours) 

Total 12 hours 40 minutes

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 13

Posted (edited)

Finally I decided to add some Ha data to an old LRGB Cocoon Nebula IC5146 (which I took in Bortle 4 skies) back in 2018.

this is the 2018 data.

spacer.png

NOW

Ha 7 hours added (and new processing skills).  

New LHaRGB result. 

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

they are all really good images, especially that first one :)

also i  appreciate you showing a perfectly nice cocoon nebula, and what it can turn into with improved processing skills (and more data). 

reassuring to hear about the lovely weather you've been having like 200 ish miles south of me :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

they are all really good images, especially that first one :)

also i  appreciate you showing a perfectly nice cocoon nebula, and what it can turn into with improved processing skills (and more data). 

reassuring to hear about the lovely weather you've been having like 200 ish miles south of me :(

Thanks Tiffs, your comments always make me chuckle (about the weather).  It's been unbearably hot over a couple of days. 

Yes, it is interesting how an image can change, glad you found that useful.   

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, carastro said:

Thanks Tiffs, your comments always make me chuckle (about the weather).  It's been unbearably hot over a couple of days. 

Yes, it is interesting how an image can change, glad you found that useful.   

The only clouds over UK just seem to arrive over my head and nowhere else last week or so.

I like your image update/revision because the first gives me a quality level to aim for and then a further target if I ever do.

Dnb filter almost ordered. Svbony can be a bit of hard work answering simple questions though. 

• Like 1

I use Photoshop which not many people still use.  I guess the monthly rental has put most people off, but I have an old disk which I bought when I first started imaging, so still using that.  But if it is any use I have a number of tutorials on You Tube.  They can be linked from my website page:

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophotography-carole-pope/video-tutorials?authuser=0

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carastro said:

I use Photoshop which not many people still use.  I guess the monthly rental has put most people off, but I have an old disk which I bought when I first started imaging, so still using that.  But if it is any use I have a number of tutorials on You Tube.  They can be linked from my website page:

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophotography-carole-pope/video-tutorials?authuser=0

I'll have a look ty.  Gimp is similar to  Photoshop so I might be able to translate between the two.

Sadly pixinsight is on my list but it won't be for a while.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro