Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spider Vane upgrade

Hi,

I'm going to be upgrading my friends spider vane in his telescope, he currently has the same scope as me, an Orion Optics 10" F4.8 Newt.

The existing spider vane is a very thick single vane affair, which i'm sure older OO owners are familair with. I recently upgraded my scope to a 4 vane spider from Orion Optics and am happy with it, but it now appears he has the choice of a 4 vane or a double circle spider, like the one below.

http://www.cloudynights.com/images/spx2.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with these double O spiders? Are they better than the traditional 4 vane?

Thanks for any advice!

I have a 'double o' spider on my home-built 6" newt. It definitely works better than a standard straight vane spider with with no sign of spikes at reasonable magnifications. The 'star' shaped spikes formed by straight-vane spiders are a result of each vane slightly interfering with the passage of light causing diffraction. The diffraction effects are increased with straight-vane spiders as opposing vanes reinforce the effect of each individual vane. Curved spiders on the otherhand spread the diffraction effect over a larger area of the mirror and thus the visual impact is greatly reduced. So I would say 'go for it'.

Circular/curved vanes do however reduce contrast, so as to which is better depends on what you are observing. For DSOs where contrast isn't so important the circular/curved type would be better but on lunar/planetary etc. where contrast is important the straight 4 vane type is better.

John

Thanks alot for the info guys!

Well, considering that the planetary performance on the F4.8 scope isn't very good as it stands, a drop in contrast could make it alot worse.

Do you think the contrast drop would be very noticeable? I could get the OO spider and flock his scope to try and make up a tiny bit of the lost contrast.

It would be just a few percent drop in contrast. Flocking would help regain part of it so the curved vanes with flocking wouldn't hurt contrast that much. Of course straight vanes and flocking................

It' s really only important when you're trying to get every last bit of planetary performance out of your scope.

John

P.S.

Google Protostar flocking

Archived