manually choosing star seems to improve my guiding

2 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Also trying a variety of targets that are all new to me helps me get a handle on how they might look if I did.

Use Astrobin for this, you get an idea of how long things will take and how they'll look with the equipment used, look mostly at ones which look the same or dim rather than the apod ones. I usually never start a target until I've done this.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Elp said:

Use Astrobin for this, you get an idea of how long things will take and how they'll look with the equipment used, look mostly at ones which look the same or dim rather than the apod ones. I usually never start a target until I've done this.

I do use astro bin but on a free account it requires a lot of manual trawling.

Still a very valuable resource though.

22 hours ago, Clarkey said:

a normal scope

Inspired by this thread and as we had some interesting hardware visit us for the new moon weekend, I took this one on a cheepo gso. I'm not sure if this is more normal, but it's certainly cheaper than a RASA! This was from about midnight, when it was cool enough to think, and dawn, so around 6 hours. Not particularly good skies; this site was just 20km north of Alicante.  Processing. No AI anywhere. The latest StarTools. I believe it has the best HDR and deconvolution. Bar none. Otherwise it would have been jumping through hoops with layers...

@TiffsAndAstro: I think the conclusion is that if you want loadsa data, fast, then it just has to be aperture. This was 10" f4 with a UHC filter. Otherwise, nothing to lose by adding frames night by night. You'll get there in the end. Maybe visit an astro club to get hands-on tips for imaging in your area?

Cheers and HTH

2-27 copy_01.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, alacant said:

Inspired by this thread and as we had some interesting hardware visit us for the new moon weekend, I took this one on a cheepo gso. I'm not sure if this is more normal, but it's certainly cheaper than a RASA! This was from about midnight, when it was cool enough to think, and dawn, so around 6 hours. Not particularly good skies; this site was just 20km north of Alicante.  Processing. No AI anywhere. The latest StarTools. I believe it has the best HDR and deconvolution. Bar none. Otherwise it would have been jumping through hoops with layers...

@TiffsAndAstro: I think the conclusion is that if you want loadsa data, fast, then it just has to be aperture. This was 10" f4 with a UHC filter. Otherwise, nothing to lose by adding frames night by night. You'll get there in the end. Maybe visit an astro club to get hands-on tips for imaging in your area?

Cheers and HTH

2-27 copy_01.jpg

That's really nice for 6 hours 

Er... What is a cheap gso? I'd like a Rasa (in theory) but would love to know about potentially less expensive alternatives.

Closest I can find would be a tak Newtonian at like f3.3 but they are mad expensive and maybe trickier to set up.

Tonight I will be focusing my guidescope. Somehow.

Also just want to say I've been trying to visit my local club for 6 months, but due to caring responsibilities I just haven't been able to. They do sound very nice and helpful from the couple of emails we've exchanged:( 

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Guan Sheng Optical, one of a handful of actual telescope manufacturers which brands then add their names to.

For speed increase you really need aperture of you compare scopes to scopes, do not fall into the f ratio trap.

• Like 1

I am waiting for dark nights to start playing with my 10" F4 carbon fibre Quattro. It has been modified with new spider, mirror mask, flocking etc. Maybe a new focuser, but I'll see.

• Like 3

Just now, Elp said:

Guan Sheng Optical, one of a handful of actual telescope manufacturers which brands then add their names to.

For speed increase you really need aperture of you compare scopes to scopes, do not fall into the f ratio trap.

Yeah I was just using it as example of a faster scope.

Ill need a new mount for even a 6" newt, so a mount upgrade is on my list ahead of any new scope :(

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

I am waiting for dark nights to start playing with my 10" F4 carbon fibre Quattro. It has been modified with new spider, mirror mask, flocking etc. Maybe a new focuser, but I'll see.

Did you mod it yourself?

What make is it? Only carbon fibre ones I've seen are stelyra and carbon star. 

Look forward to seeing your results

Just now, TiffsAndAstro said:

Did you mod it yourself?

What make is it? Only carbon fibre ones I've seen are stelyra and carbon star. 

Yes, self modded. Easy enough. I was not really planning to get it, but it was a flea bay bargain so I could not resist.

SW used to sell CF ones - I think in the US they still do.

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Cheers and HTH

2-27 copy_01.jpg

6 hours at f/4, wow that's really impressive with those outer shells.. 👏 A UHC is a dualband filter, right? If so, I'm definitely adding that to my result with tonights clear sky forecast :D 

I nearly went for a newt (or an RC) before deciding to go with the 102ED, sometimes I do feel like I should have gone all in with aperture and biting the bullet about collimation. Seeing results like this, only reinforce those thoughts! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Yeah I was just using it as example of a faster scope.

Ill need a new mount for even a 6" newt, so a mount upgrade is on my list ahead of any new scope :(

What about a Samyang 135, imaging at f/2? Yes, it's widefield but it'll be massively cheaper.

• Like 1

Just now, WolfieGlos said:

nearly went for a newt (or an RC) before deciding to go with the 102ED,

I have all of them and I am leaning more and more to aperture and 'speed'. RC reduced and binned was pretty good, I'm hoping the 10" will be better. Time will tell.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

What about a Samyang 135, imaging at f/2? Yes, it's widefield but it'll be massively cheaper.

But I have a vintage f2.8 135mm :) 

SAmyang/rokinon 135 are very nice but do have some question marks on QC. But then, what doesnt these days?

if I had the money for a samyang 135 I'd put it towards a better mount :(

also as said above, I'd rather go bigger aperture and a 6" F5 newton seem a decent compromise.

I am starting to regret not buying a cheap newt over my 72ed and using the extra for a slightly stronger mount. Of course I might still be trying to collimate it now, whereas the 72ed has been pretty straightforward 

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

@TiffsAndAstro when you are in the market I might be able to offer you a cheap 6" F4 if you're interested 😁

That's very kind of you. It might be sometime though, need a stronger mount, probably tripod first. And a smack on the head.

That juwei 17 for £850 is looking very attractive and risky. But won't be for quite a while I fear.

Also I dismissed some decent seeming ioptron ones.

2 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

That's very kind of you. It might be sometime though, need a stronger mount, probably tripod first. And a smack on the head.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek offer, although if in 6 months with a shiny new mount, I suspect it will still be on the shelf gathering dust. To be honest it was a pain to get working well - coma corrector, focuser etc, made it far from a bargain. It also did not play nicely with my ZWO filters. Horrendous reflections - and I mean horrendous. Covered a quarter of the frame. I'm not sure I would have the cheek to sell it.

However, in a few months time you fancy a project.......

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek offer, although if in 6 months with a shiny new mount, I suspect it will still be on the shelf gathering dust. To be honest it was a pain to get working well - coma corrector, focuser etc, made it far from a bargain. It also did not play nicely with my ZWO filters. Horrendous reflections - and I mean horrendous. Covered a quarter of the frame. I'm not sure I would have the cheek to sell it.

However, in a few months time you fancy a project.......

Honestly I am the worst person to consider tinkering with stuff, hence why I'm looking for a 4.5" f4 on fleabay for £30 for me to ruin and convince myself not to :)

I fear there's a reason that carbon star exists :( it should be already tweaked and all those bits you mention cost money :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

11 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I fear there's a reason that carbon star exists :( it should be already tweaked and all those bits you mention cost money

You will have to sell your soul to the Devil, body parts to smugglers and neglect everything else - then you will afford it. That's what I did🤪

( My imaging kit is worth about 4x the value of my car🙂).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

UHC is a dualband filter

Yes. It separates the H+S and the O. Alas, it still destroys the stars but IMO, does a better job than other €silly duos.

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

need a stronger mount

Good. One sure way to instantly improve your astro photography.

Loadsa 'which telescope' threads. Not nearly enough 'which mount'. The latter is what really makes the difference!

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, alacant said:

The latter is what really makes the difference!

I always separate it into mount + tripod. You can have the best mount in the world but if its on top of a poor tripod it'll fail, and vice versa.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, alacant said:

Good. One sure way to instantly improve your astro photography.

Loadsa 'which telescope' threads. Not nearly enough 'which mount'. The latter is what really makes the difference!

Mount depends on my possible future telescope choice and is a very distant possibility. Been looking recently at ioptron stuff. No idea why I dismissed them a while back.

However, you need not fear for a lack of threads when I do get £10k for my 10micron or similar  mount ;)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Posted (edited)

So was polar aligned at 945 and the faffed around with sharpcap for an hour. My guidescope is not pleasant to focus. I think I've improved it a bit. 

Doing wizard nebula again and 10 mins in guiding is stable looking and close to 1.0" which is good enough for my gear I think. Also my hfr is almost 2.0 which is easily my bestest ever.

M17 was already in trees :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro