august target selection help

It doesn't look too bad to be honest. The actual core of the wizard doesn't extend our too far, my profile image shows most of what you'll reveal. With much much more time there's surrounding gas in the background.

• Like 1

Bortle 4, 3 hrs, Antlia ALP-T  dual NB filter, 360s exposures, 533MC Pro

Overprocessed, seeing was terrible,  but you get the idea

4B6Gkt6FU9Yt_2560x0_esdlMP5Y.thumb.jpg.9cff7f55561573a0a33474e3bc7a14fc.jpg

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

order of preference

Hi
Another way of doing this is to do, say, an hour of each per night. Put them in order of RA and use automation software do it for you.
Here, I've used EKOS, but most decent apps will have something similar. That way, you can have five of something to process the next day instead of only the one of something. Just keep adding nights...

Sorry, I've been lazy and not populated the target coordinates (so the times and positions will be out of sync), but you'll get the idea. Indeed, it's rare to frame something precisely centre target anyway.

p2.png.b9e51600ec9dafd0717daced138229c5.png

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

It doesn't look too bad to be honest. The actual core of the wizard doesn't extend our too far, my profile image shows most of what you'll reveal. With much much more time there's surrounding gas in the background.

I'll have a better go at processing when it's darker later, but I agree it's ok. Whether it's ok enough to spend another night or two on not sure yet.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 900SL said:

Bortle 4, 3 hrs, Antlia ALP-T  dual NB filter, 360s exposures, 533MC Pro

Overprocessed, seeing was terrible,  but you get the idea

4B6Gkt6FU9Yt_2560x0_esdlMP5Y.thumb.jpg.9cff7f55561573a0a33474e3bc7a14fc.jpg

Very nice, I think if I did another 20 hours on mine it still wouldn't even approach yours.

Might need more advice on dual narrowband filter choice soon ish, but the svbony one looks good for the money. 7nm I think not too narrow for a beginner?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

8 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi
Another way of doing this is to do, say, an hour of each per night. Put them in order of RA and use automation software do it for you.
Here, I've used EKOS, but most decent apps will have something similar. That way, you can have five of something to process the next day instead of only the one of something. Just keep adding nights...

Sorry, I've been lazy and not populated the target coordinates (so the times and positions will be out of sync), but you'll get the idea. Indeed, it's rare to frame something precisely centre target anyway.

p2.png.b9e51600ec9dafd0717daced138229c5.png

I'm trying to stick with one target per month, but testing is allowed.

Also, I think (can't prove) that stacking 2 x 20 hour sessions gets better results than 20 x 2  hour sessions. At least with my skills and software 

8 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Very nice, I think if I did another 20 hours on mine it still wouldn't even approach yours.

Might need more advice on dual narrowband filter choice soon ish, but the svbony one looks good for the money. 7nm I think not too narrow for a beginner?

In B4-5 the IDAS NBZ has been excellent. I don't know about SVBony, they do have variable QA/QC, and a bunch of influencing promoters on youtube, if you have good recommendations from users here then go for it, 7nm if accurate should be OK, but watch out for the online reviews.. nobody works for free :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 900SL said:

In B4-5 the IDAS NBZ has been excellent. I don't know about SVBony, they do have variable QA/QC, and a bunch of influencing promoters on youtube, if you have good recommendations from users here then go for it, 7nm if accurate should be OK, but watch out for the online reviews.. nobody works for free :)

Yeah I love the all opinions are my own and no money is changing hands stuff :)

I just want something not too demanding for a beginner that won't need very long subs and doesn't cost more than my scope :)

also I like Altair as they appear to be UK based and include actual test reports on their stuff. Pricy in the UK though :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Cuivs review of the SV220 was self explanatory, I've seen a lot of his reviews, if there's something wrong he'll say so especially as he can bandpass test filters himself. For the price it's a no brainer and you can get away with 1.25 inch for your sensor.

Next up would be Optolong, you can often get used ones for less than 100 and that's for 2 inch. I've had the Lpro/lenhance/lextreme and kept with the latter, yes you will get star halos around very bright stars, but pretty much 95pc of filters will, it just shows that an image was taken with amateur equipment (as with any optical abberations) so in reality makes for a more real photo.

Near the top end the Antlia ALPT gold would be the one to get, if you have the money and are willing to part with it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Elp said:

Cuivs review of the SV220 was self explanatory, I've seen a lot of his reviews, if there's something wrong he'll say so especially as he can bandpass test filters himself. For the price it's a no brainer and you can get away with 1.25 inch for your sensor.

Next up would be Optolong, you can often get used ones for less than 100 and that's for 2 inch. I've had the Lpro/lenhance/lextreme and kept with the latter, yes you will get star halos around very bright stars, but pretty much 95pc of filters will, it just shows that an image was taken with amateur equipment (as with any optical abberations) so in reality makes for a more real photo.

Near the top end the Antlia ALPT gold would be the one to get, if you have the money and are willing to part with it.

wasn't sure if i should get a 2" or 1.25". if the 2" isn't much more might be worthwhile for possible future use?

also i think review samples might be golden samples or whatever the term is? cherry picked?  not just filters but most gear :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Posted (edited)

played around with it a bit more. can't get much if any of the Oiii but i think this shows enough potential to do another night, maybe two on. i can just about see the wizard. dunno where my focus tube slop has gone to :)

image.thumb.jpeg.67d82ebf71769972eb0b5bbb7573c469.jpeg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

played around with it a bit more. can't get much if any of the Oiii but i think this shows enough potential to do another night, maybe two on. i can just about see the wizard. dunno where my focus tube slop has gone to :)

image.thumb.jpeg.67d82ebf71769972eb0b5bbb7573c469.jpeg

Hey that's pretty good for a nobice!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Elp said:

Planetary nebulas generally work quite well because they're small, so their signal is concentrated onto a smaller camera pixel area so you get more of a pixel response in the signal area as they're receiving more photons compared to a larger target which covers more sensor area with its emitting photons spread out. It's essentially how focal reducers give you more "speed".

I love planetary nebulas btw but most are smaller than m57.

M27 looks marginal in my fov, but at least it's a reasonable option. 

54 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Hey that's pretty good for a nobice!

That's very nobice of you to say, Ty.

Mine looks like over stretched orange noise to me, but, is better than I hoped for. Gonna have to add a bit more time to it, as my plans for a 6 panel mosaic of rho Ophiuchus were dashed by me not being able to see any of the panels because houses and jungle  :)

9 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I love planetary nebulas btw but most are smaller than m57.

M27 looks marginal in my fov, but at least it's a reasonable option. 

This was a quick hack-job I posted earlier this week, with my SF102 at 570 focal length with a 2.9 pixel camera - almost my entire FOV when cropped for the dithered edges.

I've doubled the time since then ready for a full-on process where I won't over-stretch the core, so I hope that helps. That was RGB, no narrowband.

I also imaged the Iris Nebula a few years ago with the 72ed, I'll see if I can find it to give you an idea of the FOV. I managed to pull out the dust but it was fairly noisy with the DSLR after about 10 hours IIRC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

This was a quick hack-job I posted earlier this week, with my SF102 at 570 focal length with a 2.9 pixel camera - almost my entire FOV when cropped for the dithered edges.

I've doubled the time since then ready for a full-on process where I won't over-stretch the core, so I hope that helps. That was RGB, no narrowband.

I also imaged the Iris Nebula a few years ago with the 72ed, I'll see if I can find it to give you an idea of the FOV. I managed to pull out the dust but it was fairly noisy with the DSLR after about 10 hours IIRC.

Ty for all this, you have a bit more zoom and smaller pixels than me, but I should be ball park.

Iris nebula I did about 90 mins I think with my dslr and I quite liked it, until I saw others' version and saw dust :(

I think dust might be tough in bortle6 no astro dark but it's on my list. Trying to modulate my list with how high stuff is in the sky. I'm desperate to do another 2panel on m31, but there's no rush.

it's a very nice M27 image already, but I think it might be too subtle for me to image.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

redone m17 a bit. i think its nicer and hopefully i can add the occasional hour to it before its even lower.  not sure how i can have yellow in the middle while dual narrowband shows it as blue.  this is very hard and was shot between a neighbours roof and chimney :) had to crop 1/3 of it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.59a84a9cf17dca54d271e3224a9c32cf.jpeg