Nova Vulpeculae 2024.

I just put an announcement out to the BAA about this nova. I hope SGL members might be able to observe it……

It is not often that we have a relatively bright nova in the northern hemisphere, so I am sending this BAA Alert of the one recently discovered in the constellation of Vulpecula.

Nova Vul 2024 is currently 9th magnitude. Further details are in Gary Poyner's VSS Alert email below.

If you wish to observe this nova, you can produce finding charts to the scale and magnitude limit you prefer from the AAVSO chart plotter. Here is an example: 

https://apps.aavso.org/vsp/chart/?star=N+Vul+2024&orientation=visual&type=chart&fov=60.0&maglimit=14.0&resolution=150&north=up&east=left&dss=True&lines=True

It's very early on in the eruption, so we don't know what will happen next. Keep observing! There is a BAA Forum thread that will no doubt be updated as the eruption evolves.

Please submit any observations to the BAA VSS database. Images are also welcome (it is located in a rich field!) - the BAA Gallery is a good place to share them

Jeremy Shears

Director, Variable Star Section

From: baavss-alert@groups.io <baavss-alert@groups.io> on behalf of Gary Poyner 

Sent: 31 July 2024 08:17
To: Baavss Alert <baavss-alert@groups.io>
Subject: [baavss-alert] Nova Vul 2024

Discovered by the New MIlky Way survey on July 29.8 and announced on CBAT, ATel#16743  confirms it as a Classical Nova suffering from Galactic extinction. 

No announcements from AAVSO yet, although a chart and sequence are available using the designation PNV J19430751+2100204 or N Vul 2024.

Currently at magnitude 9.2CV   (AAVSO IDB)

Gary

-- 

------------------------------------------------------
Gary Poyner FRAS

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Fantastic - weather is looking reasonable, so may be able to get out and have a look at this.  I've just spotted your email as I was playing around downloading a bunch of VSS section charts.  I was planning on trying my hand at some visual variable observing.  This is serendipity at it's finest!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

But the clouds have a different plan apparently ......... 🤨

Clouds have relented. Pretty sure that I have got the nova with the 100mm refractor. If you can find that little kinked line of 4 stars (2 at mag 11 and 2 around mag 9.8) then the fainter pair point at the nova's position.

My estimate tonight for the nova is around magnitude 10.5 but I'm not experienced in these things so I'll wait for estimates from more experienced observers / imagers.

The photo posted by @JeremyS above was helpful in finding it visually as was Stellarium for getting to the little kinked line of stars. Start by finding 9 Vulpecula and then move slowly west to find the 4 stars in a kinked line (which is a small asterism). Not much else in that small part of the sky that will show in a 10cm aperture !

Edited by John
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

That is wonderful !

Needless to say, my view at 150x with my 100mm Tak was "unhindered" by 95% of those fainter stars - which might make zeroing in on the nova easier !

Here are a couple of Stellarium screen shots (refractor view so N = top and E & W reversed) which might help find this nova. The 1st shows 9 and 12 Vulpec for the general location. The 2nd shows the close up view. 

stellarium-001.thumb.jpeg.397542bf0b41f8689ca638df617b3394.jpegstellarium-002.thumb.jpeg.0779cf7e5860dd2f131f1b9b74362c0d.jpeg

Edited by John