Random cheapo Newtonian to try collimation?

Up to you what you want to achieve. I had a 130PDS but it didn't really offer me that much more than my Z61 (yes more aperture, but not that much more focal length). I replaced it with a C6.

A word of caution, undermount it at your peril, especially for imaging. It's an advertisement to the weather gods to start sending breezes as it acts like a wind sail.

Ultimately I didn't see the point of buying a piece of equipment that you then have to further modify to get it to good imaging spec, just buy something which works out of the box. The benefit of the 130pds is it doesn't cost that much, is fairly decent, it's primary is pre centre marked, and you don't need to cut the focus tube down if you use a GSO coma corrector. Oh and that, if you want a flat field, you have to use a coma corrector.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Elp said:

Up to you what you want to achieve. I had a 130PDS but it didn't really offer me that much more than my Z61 (yes more aperture, but not that much more focal length). I replaced it with a C6.

A word of caution, undermount it at your peril, especially for imaging. It's an advertisement to the weather gods to start sending breezes as it acts like a wind sail.

Ultimately I didn't see the point of buying a piece of equipment that you then have to further modify to get it to good imaging spec, just buy something which works out of the box. The benefit of the 130pds is it doesn't cost that much, is fairly decent, it's primary is pre centre marked, and you don't need to cut the focus tube down if you use a GSO coma corrector. Oh and that, if you want a flat field, you have to use a coma corrector.

Yeah seems cheap newts are cheap for reasons. I'm in no rush, if I'm lucky I might find a used one that someone else has already pro modded but wants an upgrade to 8". Maybe.

Also, I can't help but think if I sold my current mount and 600d I could get closevto that juwei 17. Tripod might be an issue though.

8 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Chasing size isn't an automatic up in ability. 

I'm certain that is the case. In my head I could plop an edge hd14 onto an am5n, slap on an oag and be perfect first time.

Reality of it would likely make me cry :(

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Doubt anyone is still following this, but, is there a Newtonian astrograph expert, or failing that, er anyone, who wouldn't mind me pming them a fleabay link to persuade me not to bid on it?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

3 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Doubt anyone is still following this, but, is there a Newtonian astrograph expert, or failing that, er anyone, who wouldn't mind me pming them a fleabay link to persuade me not to bid on it?

Just post the link here. That way you will get several comments and points of view on the scope. Are you still just wanting to try a reflector and learn how to collimate them, or something more serious for prospective imaging?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Just post the link here. That way you will get several comments and points of view on the scope. Are you still just wanting to try a reflector and learn how to collimate them, or something more serious for prospective imaging?

Just the collimation :) if I can potentially use it so much the better. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176510645760

Also 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196549770387

Pros: one of them, maybe both, blast stars

Blue will fit in nicely with my current colour scheme of white, back, red, grey and stainless steel. Oh, and green :)

Cons: blue

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Just the collimation :) if I can potentially use it so much the better. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176510645760

Also 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196549770387

Pros: one of them, maybe both blast stars

Blue will fit in nicely with my current colour scheme of white, back, red, grey and stainless steel.

Cons: blue

Definitely the bottom link for the Starblast 114mm. Mirror is shown intact and is fully able to be collimated. Looks to be in reasonable condition with all the necessary parts present. The top one doesn't show the mirror and looks like there's primary collimation screws missing or can't be seen with the one poor photograph at a sharp angle. No doubt the bottom link. Happy bidding and good luck 🤞.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Definitely the bottom link for the Starblast 114mm. Mirror is shown intact and is fully able to be collimated. Looks to be in reasonable condition with all the necessary parts present. The top one doesn't show the mirror and looks like there's primary collimation screws missing or can't be seen with the one poor photograph at a sharp angle. No doubt the bottom link. Happy bidding and good luck 🤞.

You forgot to mention that last one blasts stars :)

It has all the stuff mention in this thread, even the circle on the main mirror.  I'll give a go who knows. Ty :)

• Like 1

The bottom one doesn't appear to have a tripod or mount, but as it's for to put on your own mount I would still select it. The seller also said it looks unused in sharp contrast to the dusty top one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bosun21 said:

The bottom one doesn't appear to have a tripod or mount, but as it's for to put on your own mount I would still select it. The seller also said it looks unused in sharp contrast to the dusty top one.

Yeah I'd only try it on my mount. It's probably a bit heavy but one step at a time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

No, the bottom 114mn Starblast will be just fine on your mount. 

I have approximately.1.3kgs of stuff to space velcro onto it, but it's close enough to try it.

If I get that far.

On 31/07/2024 at 17:27, Elp said:

A 130 would be top of list for an inexpensive newt for me, but it's weight is way over my mount's limit.

4.5" star blast maybe not.

Posted (edited)

so as i didn't win the blue one, im still looking. seen a few of these and it seems very hard to determine if its a bad bird jones type or not. seems to be 114mm aperture, 600mm FL and F5.2

any obvious clues? im guessing as celestrons specs don't mention the mirror, chances are its a spherical one? :(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166728244627?_nkw=cometron&epid=20043686765&itmmeta=01J5JY5VZHY4YJBK1V9JBY2YJE&hash=item26d1c71d93:g:dG0AAOSwL3pmJ37D&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKn3vVbSh6An5nmifO20ITIOrS1cLDdejklcS1Jag7ENqkundmWvBjeBlVDaFLt0gg9yiPiK9c6fvw5ioivQMNOM4r0G85%2F%2B4SdMtneOAjj5vRD88MJKCVh5jcmkrcj1Qo8ciJ79kzrHPZPkZo5URcyqZx%2FuXZKM64CiunHoUfJ3Nk0kWwMN%2BcD%2Fl2G2jj7IUcInjjn8xetUspul6L%2FyK3aHaP%2FuBEEpfqoQk3AeFMST59rOOBKjfHVojIbkKiafArw3Pm9XlR7TqLRIcGaEMYuf|tkp%3ABk9SR-i_l96sZA

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

25 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Likely will be spherical, impo. As you rightly point out, Celestron normally include details of the mirrors if they're Paraboloid, it helps them sell more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

Likely will be spherical, impo. As you rightly point out, Celestron normally include details of the mirrors if they're Paraboloid, it helps them sell more.

but it has a carbon fibre effect (i assume) ota  :(

anyway im currently working on my own novel design :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

but it has a carbon fibre effect (i assume) ota  :(

anyway im currently working on my own novel design :)

@TiffsAndAstro I did a quick look on celestron website and even with the carbon (effect) it doesn't mention the mirror being paraboloidal or indeed spherical so it's a bit of a mystery!? 

Oh right, sounds interesting! 👌😊

Please post your results here! 

Regards, Wes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@TiffsAndAstro I did a quick look on celestron website and even with the carbon (effect) it doesn't mention the mirror being paraboloidal or indeed spherical so it's a bit of a mystery!? 

Oh right, sounds interesting! 👌😊

Please post your results here! 

Regards, Wes.

I think they'd mention it if it was parabadaloidalol

My innovative design is basically extending a Newtonians ota enough that I can remove the secondary and dangle a camera a bit further away from the primary from  where the secondary was :)

Just a couple of issues to sort :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I think they'd mention it if it was parabadaloidalol

My innovative design is basically extending a Newtonians ota enough that I can remove the secondary and dangle a camera a bit further away from the primary from  where the secondary was :)

Just a couple of issues to sort :)

I think if you used as small a camera as possible, and mounted it well, that design could actually work? It reminds me of the RASA F2 design, and they work amazing and are obviously super fast at F2.

I look forward to seeing how you get on my friend!

• Like 1