NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO ASIAir Pro - Station Mode

I have a ZWO ASI Air Pro - latest firmware & App Version (Android)

I can't get Station Mode to stay active. I have the ASI connected to a hardwire ethernet connection and that all works as expected. I then turn on Station Mode, connect to my 2.4Ghz WiFi - all ok. The ASI connects and gets an IP address from my router that l can ping. However when l disconnect the ethernet cable l can no longer ping the Station Mode IP address, plug the cable back in and l can ping the Station Mode IP address again.

Am l missing something obvious ?

Chris

Hmmm....

You have to restart the app (as described in the video) after Station Mode has been activated; then a connection can be made. Trouble is an active Station Mode connection doesn't survive an ASI restart (can't ping the Station Mode IP) - you have to reconnect the ethernet cable or connect to the ASI's own WiFi and do it all over again to connect via Station Mode. Bit of a pain but not a show stopper. I wouldn't mind so much if this was made clear in the ASIAir manual - it isn't. Mind you, very little else is made clear in the manual either.

Chris

If you're connecting to your router it's likely if DHCP is activated it assigns a different IP address every time to the air. If this is the case you won't be able to ping as the assigned address will have changed.

If you have the ASIAir as the Wi-Fi network and switch it to station mode without an ethernet connection it would/should get an ip address from your network. That should stay unless you reset it.

However, if you have an ethernet connection when you next powerup it will likely take priority over Wi-Fi and be given the same ip address as before. Disconnecting the ethernet than may not automatically switch to Wi-Fi (as you are experiencing). When using Astroberry/Stellarmate/Raspberry OS you can set a connection order, I don't recall this option on the ASIAir.

If you remove the ethernet cable and restart the ASIAir on Wi-Fi is it connecting in station mode correctly?