NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mini PC - recommendations and suggestions

Hi all, 

I have been using an ASIair Plus to run my imaging sessions but now would like to try something different as I am getting into planetary imaging and would like more control with the programmes that are used. (I would like to use NINA and Sharpcap/ Firecapture to run imaging sessions for the moon/ planets.) 

What I'd like to try and get set up is to use a mini PC and get all my equipment connected - my mount, camera etc and control the mini PC from my laptop. I this means I would need some 12V DC ports to power dew heaters as well. 

Is this something that is quite commonly done, and if so what mini PC is a solid option for astrophotography? 

Thanks in advance. 

6 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

I use a Mele Overclock 4c, and they are very popular in the Astro world, I did a video on the one I have here…

Thank you, I watched it, very informative. If the Mele doesn't come supplied with a power adapter, are you using an existing one with a 5.5 DC jack with a USB-C adaptor? 

Similarly, how does one go about powering dew heaters, as mine all have 5.5 DC jack cables. 

Thank you again. 

4 hours ago, Vic L S said:

Thank you, I watched it, very informative. If the Mele doesn't come supplied with a power adapter, are you using an existing one with a 5.5 DC jack with a USB-C adaptor? 

Similarly, how does one go about powering dew heaters, as mine all have 5.5 DC jack cables. 

Thank you again. 

You can either buy an adapter cable as you mention, or use the 240v to 12v power brick that comes with the PC, I use a Pegasus power hub which powers the PC and my dew straps..👍🏻

13 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

You can either buy an adapter cable as you mention, or use the 240v to 12v power brick that comes with the PC, I use a Pegasus power hub which powers the PC and my dew straps..👍🏻

Hi Stuart,

What's the advantage of the Pegasus power hub? I currently use this powered USB3 hub, but can't see any reason to change it? Provided there is a mains power supply for the HUB and mini PC, then all should be OK right?

I do have an ASIAIR and a power supply too, but it's been used perhaps twice since I bought it in black Friday as I much prefer NINA to control everything, so likely will be selling it soon.

Sorry to hijack the thread @Vic L S, just thought some more discussion on power might be of benefit 🙂

3 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Something that is not ZWO😁🤣

All jokes aside, what are they looking to achieve by using different software, the process of data acquisition will mostly be the same (though more configurable), the quality of said data won't improve by changing software, ignoring the additional financial cost.

If they're looking to change the system then fine, dew heaters can be a pain to power but usually not much to ponder when running off mains, much more consideration about a system has to be made when you run off batteries.

8 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Hi Stuart,

What's the advantage of the Pegasus power hub? I currently use this powered USB3 hub, but can't see any reason to change it? Provided there is a mains power supply for the HUB and mini PC, then all should be OK right?

I do have an ASIAIR and a power supply too, but it's been used perhaps twice since I bought it in black Friday as I much prefer NINA to control everything, so likely will be selling it soon.

Sorry to hijack the thread @Vic L S, just thought some more discussion on power might be of benefit 🙂

The Pegasus power hub, not only has a built in USB 3 hub, but 4x12v power ports, 1x 3-12v power adjustable port, plus 3x dew strap outputs, motor focuser output, all computer controlled, a big benefit in my opinion really…👍🏻

• Like 1

If you just need the additional 12v outs which I needed and no usb output, I've got a four port out hub which was far cheaper than the Pegasus, the four ports share 8A between them. And no need for a computer to configure it.

4 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

The Pegasus power hub, not only has a built in USB 3 hub, but 4x12v power ports, 1x 3-12v power adjustable port, plus 3x dew strap outputs, motor focuser output, all computer controlled, a big benefit in my opinion really…👍🏻

Thanks, that helps. I had looked at a different version that only had the USB hubs, whereas you're talking about this.

My whole setup currently runs on USB; 585mc (or DSLR), ZWO EAF, ZWO guider, HEQ5 EQDIR cable and "Amazon special" dewstraps, but if I upgrade to a cooled 2600 or 533 then a 12v outlet will be required. So thanks, that's good to know and an additional cost I hadn't factored in. 👍

5 hours ago, Elp said:

If you just need the additional 12v outs which I needed and no usb output, I've got a four port out hub which was far cheaper than the Pegasus, the four ports share 8A between them. And no need for a computer to configure it.

Do you have a link to this Elp?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Thanks, that helps. I had looked at a different version that only had the USB hubs, whereas you're talking about this.

My whole setup currently runs on USB; 585mc (or DSLR), ZWO EAF, ZWO guider, HEQ5 EQDIR cable and "Amazon special" dewstraps, but if I upgrade to a cooled 2600 or 533 then a 12v outlet will be required. So thanks, that's good to know and an additional cost I hadn't factored in. 👍

Do you have a link to this Elp?

Yes, I actually have this one, a bit overkill for my needs but very future proof…👍🏻

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pegasus-astro/pegasus-astro-ultimate-powerbox-v2.html

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vic L S said:

the hub Elp has mentioned to power dew heaters and such.

You just need to make sure you're using an appropriate mains adaptor to feed in the amperage, ironically enough I'm using the Pegasus 10A one (it's not actually a Pegasus product like all mains adaptors sourced and  sold by brands).

This is what I use and it’s been superb, just £30 and 15 amp max, fan cooled with reverse polarity protection, been using for 5 years without issue, not need to spend a load on a pier brick at all. Also this one is up to 13.8v which is perfect for most mounts as they like a bit more than 12v…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RoyPow-Converter-Transformer-200V-240V-Cigarette/dp/B07QTHWJR1

the actual Pegasus one is waaaaay overpriced and as has been said they just buy them in from china slap there brand name on them, and are actually only about £20 from Aliexpress and not Pegasus…

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

Oh and BTW the Mele mini PC with run off power supplies from 12v up to 18v, They have power delivery system built into them so will just draw the power they need from a supply up to 18v, and actually run best at about 14v I have found, so a 13.8v power supply is perfect…👍🏻

Edited by Stuart1971

32 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

the actual Pegasus one is waaaaay overpriced and as has been said they just buy them in from china slap there brand name on them, and are actually only about £20 from Aliexpress and not Pegasus…

Most adaptors are overpriced, but unless you know who makes them it can be a lottery sourcing a good quality one. They don't even brand them, still have factory manf names on them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elp said:

Most adaptors are overpriced, but unless you know who makes them it can be a lottery sourcing a good quality one. They don't even brand them, still have factory manf names on them.

I personally am not a fan when companies such as Pegasus, buy cheap power supply’s in bulk, quadruple the price and sell them as there own, as you assume you are getting a top quality product, but this may not be the case…I would hope that they have rigoursly tested them before putting there name to them….🤷🏼‍♂️

as you say it’s a lottery finding a quality one, there are hundreds on Aliexpress that all look identical at a very wide range of prices.. 

Quite often done.

A TCS does not need to run full-fat Windows. All it needs to do is control the hardware and put the images into storage. All the heavy lifting, including providing the disk storage, can be done elsewhere on a different machine --- which you are already planning on doing.

What I am hinting at is that a Raspberry Pi is easily capable of driving a telescope, mount, filterwheel, cameras, autoguider, etc. It is dirt cheap, very small and weighs little (so it can be strapped to the mount thereby reducing cable clutter), and takes very little electrical power.

3 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

power supply’s

The other funny thing about them is they come from "astro companies" but then you look at them and read the labels and they don't look like they're designed for outdoor use... But I guess such measures would bump the prices further. Some common sense usage applies in these cases (obviously don't allow them to get wet).

• Like 1