NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hong Kong: Cost of optical equipment

All,

I'll be visiting Hong Kong briefly in a few weeks and, as I'm in the market for a new full-frame DSLR, can anyone tell me if prices in Hong Kong are any cheaper than the UK? Presumably, I'd have to pay tax on it on my return to the UK anyway, which would negate any savings?

Many thanks.

4 minutes ago, lukebl said:

All,

I'll be visiting Hong Kong briefly in a few weeks and, as I'm in the market for a new full-frame DSLR, can anyone tell me if prices in Hong Kong are any cheaper than the UK? Presumably, I'd have to pay tax on it on my return to the UK anyway, which would negate any savings?

Many thanks.

It's a few years since I've been to Hong Kong, but I've been a few times since the mid nineties. When I've looked a camera equipment in the past it has never seemed that much cheaper - certainly in the main tourist areas.

I have bought a few items - Canon L lenses and a couple of bodies from Digitalrev which were significantly cheaper when the £ was strong against the dollar (pre Brexit). Since then prices from Digitalrev have not been so competitive, but with the £ getting stronger recently you might want to check that route out. Saves any hassle with customs as well

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

It's a few years since I've been to Hong Kong, but I've been a few times since the mid nineties. When I've looked a camera equipment in the past it has never seemed that much cheaper - certainly in the main tourist areas.

I have bought a few items - Canon L lenses and a couple of bodies from Digitalrev which were significantly cheaper when the £ was strong against the dollar (pre Brexit). Since then prices from Digitalrev have not been so competitive, but with the £ getting stronger recently you might want to check that route out. Saves any hassle with customs as well

I bought a Nikon D5300 camera from Hong Kong ten years ago and I didn't anything! I recently bought a lens from Cotswold Cameras in the UK (www dot cotswoldcameras dot co dot uk) and so there were not additional taxes to pay. The service was very good, the Nikon Z-mount lens arrived properly packaged inside 10 days and with all the accessories that would have been supplied by the normal UK retailers. The saving was almost 30% in this case and there is a 12 months warranty on it. It might be worth looking at that option Luke?

Tony

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tony Acorn said:

....from Hong Kong ten years ago and I didn't anything! ....

Didn't what?!

Hi there, I'm from Hong Kong and, based on experience, I find that the prices of optical equipment, such as telescopes, are definitely cheaper than in the UK. Not sure about the camera side of things, but for telescopes and mounts that has been the case for me.

• Like 1