NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Samyang 135mm f1.8/2 with canon eos

I am looking at getting this lens for my canon 450d for deep space photography, have you used the samyang and what were your results and conclusions?

Chaz

Make sure you get the correct one for your camera. The 135mm f2.0 manual lens is what you're looking for, they also do the f2.2, which I think is for video, and the f1.8 is the auto-focus version.

They have an ED lens and it works really well for astrophotography, with lots of examples on this forum, including a dedicated thread. For widefield imaging it's well worth the cost and for terrestrial photography it gives excellent depth perception on the images. 

• Like 1

I'm a satisfied user of the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ultra-wide manual focus lenses. I had one for my Nikon D7200 and, based on my experiences with that one, I bought the same lens with a different mount for my Z6ii when I upgraded the camera. One point I would add for anyone using manual focus lenses is to buy a clamp (search for Zoom Focusing Follow Focus Handle Scale Lever with Gear Ring for Camera Lens on e-bay) and you can pick one up for a couple of quid. It makes fine manual focusing much easier when used in combination with your camera's display screen at maximum zoom.

HTH

• Like 1

I bought Samyang 135 for Canon dslr a few weeks ago and this was my first attempt with it.
I think it is a superb lens at an amazing price. I'm looking forward to putting some mosaics together.
Being able to image at this scale gives me a much better understanding of where these objects sit in relation to one another.
In this case, the lens was coupled with an AltairAstro osc cooled camera using a Canon lens adaptor.
Between the clouds I managed just over 2hrs worth of 100sec subs with an Optolong l-extreme filter, the lens was stepped down a little to 2.8.
Because the adjustment is so fine, getting focus spot on is difficult without a Batinov mask so would recommend one.
There's someone on Ebay (UK) who is 3d printing them especially for the Samyamg 135 (about £10)
Haven't had a chance to have a go without a filter yet but being such a 'light bucket' I would expect exposure times to be much, much shorter.

IC1396mk1.thumb.jpg.8da6ccc637ad6ce0b0d7f4acdfb102cc.jpgIC1396mk2.thumb.jpg.4dc4f204db62399b8f7fe9b7297aa8e5.jpg

• Like 3

The f2 or t2.2 is one of the best pieces of astro AP equipment you can buy beating most telescopes for compactness, speed and price, and it's not even built for astro. There is a quality concern people have with Samyangs, I've owned a few of their range and have never had an issue.

The AF versions with ed glass construction (avoid the aspherical only ones) work well but you'll be very restricted if you decide to use an astro camera down the line because you can't manual focus, with the former fully manual lens, no issue.

• Like 1