NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet 13P Olbers, low in the twilight

Having last captured Comet Olbers on 20 June, and then having observed and not imaged it in subsequent sessions, I was determined to obtain a better image if the weather permitted. The comet is still in Lynx, and very low in the twilight, so I'm limited to using a camera lens on a star tracker, rather than my 'scope, from a location a few minutes from home.

This was the result, taken around midnight on 10/11 July, and comprising 16 x 30-sec exposures at ISO 3200 and F/4.5. Astro-modded EOS 600D and 1980s Zeiss Jena 135mm f/4 lens on a Vixen Polarie star-tracker. Post processing increased contrast and reduced noise, though the result is still rather noisy, given the limited data, high ISO and heavy cropping. I also used Starnet++ to temporarily remove the stars and help bring out the comet a little more.

Regards, Mike.

Olbers 10 Jul.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, mcrowle said:

Having last captured Comet Olbers on 20 June, and then having observed and not imaged it in subsequent sessions, I was determined to obtain a better image if the weather permitted. The comet is still in Lynx, and very low in the twilight, so I'm limited to using a camera lens on a star tracker, rather than my 'scope, from a location a few minutes from home.

This was the result, taken around midnight on 10/11 July, and comprising 16 x 30-sec exposures at ISO 3200 and F/4.5. Astro-modded EOS 600D and 1980s Zeiss Jena 135mm f/4 lens on a Vixen Polarie star-tracker. Post processing increased contrast and reduced noise, though the result is still rather noisy, given the limited data, high ISO and heavy cropping. I also used Starnet++ to temporarily remove the stars and help bring out the comet a little more.

Regards, Mike.

Olbers 10 Jul.jpg

Cracking effort in your pursuit of Comet 13P Olbers. 

It was great to have some clear skies down here last night, if a bit dewy. 

Cheers 

Lee 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Lee! Yes, it was a good night, with better transparency than some forecasts had. I have my fingers crossed for Saturday night, too!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

This is what I used to get high enough with my Dwarf 2

Dwarf2onStepladder.jpg.ded9bef87c03ebbc50ef17501b5e26c7.jpg

It gave me enough height to be at about eye-level, and a view over an adjacent garden fence. More distant objects limited my chance to image, but I managed 240 10-second frames. Using the Dwarf as a guide, and star-hopping from 42 Lyn, I was able (just about) to spot 13P with my 10x50 binoculars. I used a different part of the sky to calibrate the position of the Dwarf, and then did a GoTo to 13P. The first few frames were too much twilight for contrast, requiring a re-start, and even this image took a couple of minutes before I was sure that I had 13P on my tablet's screen.

13POlbers-stacked_20240711234039591(annotated).thumb.jpg.c8bd76432997c2701f2056ec90dede6f.jpg

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Lister
typo
  • Like 4