Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS and galaxys

Hi all,

Me and a friend was out last night with our scopes (btw the 10" dobsonian is awsome) and we spotted what we think is the ISS when we checked this out with our programs it show it followed roughly the same path we viewed but the speed didnt match.

it came in from the SW/SSW with a heading towards the east roughly at 10:55pm in southampton, roughly between 20 and 40 degrees in the sky. We assumed this was ISS but all we could see is a bright/large star looking object. We checked some places etc etc and was given 2 different descriptions of it, can anyone give an example of what it looks like with the naked eye in dark but slightly polluted skys ??

also in same conditions (heavy light pollutiion) is there anyway we can get more detail from galaxys (m81/82 etc) what filters would be best for this ?

TY :)

Hi Wayne, on the ISS question, I've viewed it many times with just naked eye. It is very bright - it's almost as if Sirus is moving across the sky. It moves fairly fast, you have to keep moving to keep up with it - you can't keep your gaze in the same place of sky as it will have moved before you know it. My skies are fairly light polluted, I have a nice orange glow from Cardiff city centre on the Southern Horizon!! but this doesn't seem to affect my viewing of the ISS at all - it's still uber bright and extremely noticeable.

Have you used Heavens-Above Home Page before? Enter in your details and set up a free account and you can get information on the next (and previous) passings of the ISS and other sats.

Last night this pass was visible from my location:

11th May at 22:50, coming from the SW and heading towards the SSE, vanishing at 22:54. Maximum altitude, 45.

I'm guessing it would have been visible from your location too. Time is about right, and your description of a 'bright/large star looking object' does, in my experience, fit it perfectly. :D

Can't offer much advice on the filters for galaxy viewing, my advice would be to ring First Light Optics (our sponsors) and speak to Steve - he is very helpful and I have heard nothing but praise for him. My guess would be a light pollution filter but I'd seek expert help first :) Hopefully some other members can post and help you with the filter question.

Hope this helps

Amanda

i DO have a pollution filter and a moon filter.......they just ot arrived in the post yet :)

i will see what happens when they arrive as i have a few other filters there also to enhance certain light spectrums, u never kow might get lucky

If I recall correctly, light pollution filters do not boost contrast of galaxies because galaxies emit light across all wavelenghts rather than a few specific wavelengths that filters can selectively let through.

Best option is to get to a good dark site - the Carribean island or Australian outback would be almost ideal bearing in mind the recent weather!!

Mark

Archived