NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Evolution mount

Does anybody here have experience with an evolution mount? Is it any good? There seem to be a fair number available used.  Is this because people soon upgrade or is it just they are popular?  I'm considering options for an 8" sct and would welcome thoughts.  Ta.

2 hours ago, LondonNeil said:

Does anybody here have experience with an evolution mount? Is it any good? There seem to be a fair number available used.  Is this because people soon upgrade or is it just they are popular?  I'm considering options for an 8" sct and would welcome thoughts.  Ta.

I've no personal experience, but I believe the Evolution mounts are well regarded, and certainly a step up from the SE mounts with a sturdier tripod and built in battery. My assumption for the mounts being sold is people want to move on to astrophotography and retain the OTA while buying an equatorial mount.

• Like 2

Possibly a reason for moving on from the Evolution mount is the desire to use EQ mode.  I sold my Evolution setup as I was down-sizing to a refractor/AM5 setup.  The 8" HD scope sold first and the mount went to a friend who later sold it but said that was a regret.  Mine also used the Celestron Starsense Camera so setup was easy and allowed the use of astro apps, I don't like handsets so  much. It's better than the Nexstar SE mounts (imo).

• Like 1