NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Very busy solar surface

SwiMatt

I wanted to get out and sketch for the longest time but something else always seemed to stop me... but today I had a small chance and took it! The Sun did not disappoint, showing so much activity. I had to move fast in between the clouds to sketch all I could see on this busy disk! The whole sketch took about 15 minutes, 20 with some (bad...) darkening of the limb. But nice to be back out!

20240701_184421.jpg

• Like 16

Lovely sketch. And has been pointed out the paper adds to the finished image. 

I’ve followed your posts and drawings with interest. It’s been nice seeing your journey and to me they seem to be getting better. You’ve also developed a personal style. Keep it up!

I’ve had a go at sketching and I don’t think I’m good at it. But maybe I’ll give it another try. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

I’ve followed your posts and drawings with interest. It’s been nice seeing your journey and to me they seem to be getting better. You’ve also developed a personal style. Keep it up!

It means a lot, thanks! I look forward to sketching more once we get some darkness back. The Sun can be fun but in it's not my favorite.

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

I’ve had a go at sketching and I don’t think I’m good at it. But maybe I’ll give it another try. 

I certifiably sucked when I started. Don't let it get the best of you!

If you liked the process of sketching when you tried and would really want to try more, you could really enjoy a book like "Astronomical Sketching: A Step-by-Step Introduction" to get more directions about easy beginner techniques and general steps to astronomical sketching. 

• Like 2

@SwiMatt - good book recommendation. I didn’t even know that it existed. Definitely one to buy!

I first tried DSO, but struggled, the fact that it needed to be very dark didn’t help. I haven’t tried the sun, but it’s obviously light so that might help to get me going! The planets, even lunar, are tempting and for that I would not need to sketch in complete dark. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

I first tried DSO, but struggled, the fact that it needed to be very dark didn’t help. I haven’t tried the sun, but it’s obviously light so that might help to get me going! The planets, even lunar, are tempting and for that I would not need to sketch in complete dark. 

The logistics of holding a light while sketching and at the same time following manually an object can be daunting indeed :grin: 

• Like 1