NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first M51

Spent some time gathering data at stupid o'clock this morning. Here is one result.

RV) 72ED plus flattener. ZWO ASI533MC Pro, unguided on HEQ5PRO (belt mod kit installed DIY).

30 x 60s lights, 5 x 60s darks, 10 x bias, 10 x .2s flats (led tracing panel generated)

Stacked in DSS, stretched in SIRIL and levels tweaked in GIMP.

Second processing attempt as doing it all in SIRIL gives mono product?

Looks like a satellite sped through the frame? I also think I can spot some other faint fuzzies.

M51_DSS_siril_gimp.thumb.png.121d9724ab77b47c980c6a95e8762995.png

• Like 11

That’s a nice result. Unless you use the bias frames to calibrate the flats, you don’t really need them. Also, more dark frames will give you a cleaner master dark. You can reuse a master dark if the imaging gain, temperature, and exposure time are kept constant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Astronomist- No I didn't. I will revisit the workflow and check.

@wimvb- I am time limited at the moment so just grab a few minutes of darks. 

I have a permanant pier set up but demount the scope (and camera from scope) after each session. Will this have a negative effect on the dark orientation?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

@Astronomist- No I didn't. I will revisit the workflow and check.

@wimvb- I am time limited at the moment so just grab a few minutes of darks. 

I have a permanant pier set up but demount the scope (and camera from scope) after each session. Will this have a negative effect on the dark orientation?

Doubt it. Maybe on your back ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

Will this have a negative effect on the dark orientation?

No. If you leave the camera on the scope, even flats can be reused. Just be aware that dust may move. If that happens, you need to take new flats.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, wimvb said:

No. If you leave the camera on the scope, even flats can be reused. Just be aware that dust may move. If that happens, you need to take new flats.

I was too lazy to take flats last night for 1 hour m52 and 1 hour m31. Ive only done a quick test stretch on M31 and already regret it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I was too lazy to take flats last night for 1 hour m52 and 1 hour m31. Ive only done a quick test stretch on M31 and already regret it.

Moving dust? If you set up and tear down every night, you'll probably also need to take new flats every night. My extreme is being able to use the same flats for most of an imaging season. Only if I have removed the camera, or rotated it, do I need to take new flats. One of the advantages of having an observatory.

• Like 1