Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Not observing is really hard.

A year ago, I moved to London. In many ways, living here has been lovely. But it has come with a deep sense of loss because I left behind relatively dark skies, and I have only been able to observe a few times in the past year. Partially, this is due to the exceedingly cloudy weather that many here have commented on over the past several months. However, for me, relentless work-related stress has tired me to an extent that I've never before experienced, leaving me without an ounce of energy to enjoy the clear nights. Also, I live in a flat complex that makes observing an exhausting ordeal. There's a rooftop that I can access, but only after passing through five heavy doors that require two keys, plus taking a lift, plus carrying everything up two flights of stairs. Even with a light setup, two trips are necessary to move the equipment safely. All of that, and then the rooftop "closes" at midnight.

I've missed the night sky more than I've ever missed a place on Earth.

I have a job interview coming up that could result in me moving to a place where stargazing again becomes a central part of my life. Just the possibility has me wildly elated... so much so that I took possession of a new Takahashi OTA, and two more are coming soon 🤣 So, please send me good vibes... if not for my sake, at least for the poor Takahashis that deserve a steady diet of starlight.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling that this isn't just a "hobby" for me. For all of us who feel this way, may we enjoy the profound gift of clear, dark skies.

• Like 26

I think for a lot of us it makes for a fine escape and it's good when you can get out and observe/image but for the majority of us it is just that, a hobby and other factors in our lives at the time take priority. The sky will always be there (hopefully).

Whether you stay put or move elsewhere, perhaps look at your equipment and make it easier to "transport". For the setups I'm more likely to use I've made sure from the start that each one fits into one bag/backpack (and perhaps a CF tripod in hand, usually my cables/computer controller bag is modular so I can take out of one and put into another bag), easily carriable on back (even though they can be heavy, far easier than hand hauling and leaves my hands free).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Such a shame that you aren’t able to observe as I find this to be one of the best things to offset the stresses of daily life.

The levels of stress you describe certainly need to be addressed.

Wishing you all the best for your upcoming interview.

• Like 2

Good luck with the interview!  If I could move to darker skies, I certainly would.  Unfortunately, that's not in the cards anytime soon, so I count the days until I can get to a dark site for an evening.

• Like 3

Wishing you the very best of luck with your interview @Emperor!Takahashi!!

I also used to work in London in a stressful job. While I loved London, I also didn’t really observe there although I had the benefit of weekend trips back home to the dark skies at my family home. Getting out for some quiet time under the stars is very important to me, and I hope you find a fulfilling job that gets you back under dark skies.

• Like 2