NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Weather watching, complimentary hobby to astronomy?

AL1

Very true, and the weather forecast pages are the most visited on my phone! For example I had high hopes for tonight which gradually turned into a grey wall of cloud 😞

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nik271 said:

Very true, and the weather forecast pages are the most visited on my phone! For example I had high hopes for tonight which gradually turned into a grey wall of cloud 😞

i only have 5 different weather web pages open on my phone and desktop and they all lie, all disagree with each other and are all wrong.

i don't see how that's possible ;(

one even retrospectively updates its past predictions.....

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only have AccuWeather which is not really astro inclined , it only has some rather widely defined red/yellow/green predictions , yet probably because of that it kinda nails it broadly speaking.

Also , leaving next to the seashore makes weather reading reaaaaaaaly whimsical , like today is sunny and no clouds BUT the south wind is blowing so we the locals know, against all and any predictions, light clouds & rain are coming tonight.

• Like 2

Around six weeks ago I bought a weather station to go in the garden and it has given so much more interest than my combined load of astro gear during this never ending poor weather. It's been handy keeping tabs on rainfall, temperature and humidity especially overnight and generally helpful for gardening purposes. The unit sends data to the house over 433MHz and the unit in the house is connected to the Internet from which you can find daily, weekly and monthly graphs.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 2

The two have had a natural and historical empathy. Now that we can get so much weather information, delivered on demand, from satellites and super computers world wide, we are probably the most paranoid generation of astronomers yet.  

Our forebars tapped the barometer, checked the wind  and looked at the sky for themselves. Now we review several forecasts, mull over stability, transparancy, dew points etc and are petulant about its abilty to be exact to our location.

So yes, I think we should enjoy Weather Watching once again! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SteveNickolls said:

Around six weeks ago I bought a weather station to go in the garden and it has given so much more interest than my combined load of astro gear during this never ending poor weather. It's been handy keeping tabs on rainfall, temperature and humidity especially overnight and generally helpful for gardening purposes. The unit sends data to the house over 433MHz and the unit in the house is connected to the Internet from which you can find daily, weekly and monthly graphs.

Cheers,

Steve

honestly, the nw of england where i am, might as well just look out of the window as the forecasts change so quickly and randomly. 

• Like 1

I've run a weather station since 2007, both here in Fort William and previously in the Western Isles.

I have a dedicated PC which runs all the weather software and uploads to my website (click on the banner in my sig' below). It also includes a lightning detector, aircraft radar and forecasting software, called WXSIM, which produces a 5 day forecast for my own location using GFS & my weather station data.

1 hour ago, Stephenstargazer said:

A weather watchers photo guide,  what and why, recommended.

Strangely, Storm Dunlop published one of my photos (see below) for another one his books, just called "Sky" back in 2009. :D

CB02.jpg.67856895eacc54c03dcc06529477f30b.jpg

• Like 2