Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from across the pond!

RonM

Hello everyone,

New member here from NYC! Not the best place to stargaze but I was bitten by the astrophotography bug shooting the total solar eclipse while visiting family in Texas. During my research and preparation before the trip I discovered so many different aspects of astrophotography and viewed so many awesome images that I was hooked.

I’ve owned the Sony A mount version of the Rokinon 135mm F2 for a while and was pleasantly surprised to read of its “astro” popularity, so, this is where I will begin my journey. I have read through about 1/3rd of "Imaging with the Samyang 135" and am trying not to come down with GAS! I am currently looking for a decent way to mount it to my SkyGuider Pro and possibly, in the future, acquire a dedicated astrocamera that I can also use with my A mount lenses.

In the meantime, I hope to learn and share as much as I can from the forums, meet some likeminded people and have fun along the way.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, RonM said:

Hello everyone,

New member here from NYC! Not the best place to stargaze but I was bitten by the astrophotography bug shooting the total solar eclipse while visiting family in Texas. During my research and preparation before the trip I discovered so many different aspects of astrophotography and viewed so many awesome images that I was hooked.

I’ve owned the Sony A mount version of the Rokinon 135mm F2 for a while and was pleasantly surprised to read of its “astro” popularity, so, this is where I will begin my journey. I have read through about 1/3rd of "Imaging with the Samyang 135" and am trying not to come down with GAS! I am currently looking for a decent way to mount it to my SkyGuider Pro and possibly, in the future, acquire a dedicated astrocamera that I can also use with my A mount lenses.

In the meantime, I hope to learn and share as much as I can from the forums, meet some likeminded people and have fun along the way.

Hello Ron, welcome and particularly it is nice to hear from another self-admitting GAS sufferer 🤣
I am also somewhat new to "focussed imaging" stargazing and have recently spent more and more 💵 than I though possible on this fascinating hobby. Prior to my recent burst of GAS, I used Samyang / Rokinon 14mm f2.8 lenses with my Nikon APS-C and then full frame Nikon mirrorless camera. With both of those set-ups I've previously got half-decent Milky Way / Meteors / Planetary conjunction images but, if you are like me, that will never be enough. The difference between the light gathering capabilities of the APS-C and the Full Frame was staggering.
Whilst you may be resident in NYC, upstate NY seems to have plenty of locations better than my Bortle 5 location north of London so you may need to direct your GAS towards mobile rigs and there are plenty of suggestions on here. I am currently assembling one such rig and will hopefully post images for assessment and suggestions / correction by forum members this week.

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

8 hours ago, Tony Acorn said:

Hello Ron, welcome and particularly it is nice to hear from another self-admitting GAS sufferer 🤣
I am also somewhat new to "focussed imaging" stargazing and have recently spent more and more 💵 than I though possible on this fascinating hobby. Prior to my recent burst of GAS, I used Samyang / Rokinon 14mm f2.8 lenses with my Nikon APS-C and then full frame Nikon mirrorless camera. With both of those set-ups I've previously got half-decent Milky Way / Meteors / Planetary conjunction images but, if you are like me, that will never be enough. The difference between the light gathering capabilities of the APS-C and the Full Frame was staggering.
Whilst you may be resident in NYC, upstate NY seems to have plenty of locations better than my Bortle 5 location north of London so you may need to direct your GAS towards mobile rigs and there are plenty of suggestions on here. I am currently assembling one such rig and will hopefully post images for assessment and suggestions / correction by forum members this week.

Tony

Tony, thanks much for the mobile suggestion and yes, I have recently browsed a site listing dark sky locations in NY, mostly upstate. Also, as a recovering GASaholic 🤑, I'm considering taking it slow this time, no, I vow to take it slow, 😇 LOL , working with what I already own, of course, with the addition of a few  necessities to get me started. I think we all aspire to capture Hubble-like images and I know there's quite a learning curve, so I am prepared to take the time to climb it. Can't wait to see your new rig and images!

Ron

• Like 1