NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Australia

Tchoklat

Hi all. I am new to the forum and new to astronomy. I have a 12” goto Skywatcher dob running Synscan. I am struggling with getting it to talk to stellarium. I use Apple. I have stellarium on macbook and on iphone but cannot get it to  wirelessly connect to the scope and for stellarium to control the scope. I have googled and toutubed but can’t find the answer. Hoping this community can help this (becoming frustrated) newcomer. 

cheers. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thankyou Chandra.  I have played the vid. It relates to a PC not MacBook but the process  is similar.  I have a couple of unknowns. 

The synscan controller has two unused ports both different see pics with applicable manual entry. Not sure which to connect the Mac to. Middle one or right hand one. Video shows middle one,  manual suggests right one. 

Also the setup process in Stellarium asks me to select a port.See pic. Again not sure which one.IMG_8404.thumb.jpeg.9633d9e69274b58668a998ff02fffd07.jpego select a

Hope you can help.

regards  Tony

IMG_8405.jpeg

IMG_8406.jpeg

Edited by Tchoklat
spello

Is your dobsonian one of the newer models with WiFi? If so it's pretty straightforward as I have recently done just this with my 10" Synscan dobsonian.

Hello again... I don't know to what extent connecting the mount with a Mac is different from doing it with a PC, but I imagine it shouldn't be very different... Anyway, I think not all versions of Stellarium allow you to control the telescope. I use a slightly old one, 0.19.3, but of course, it is for PC. You must make sure that the version you use includes the option. 

As for your doubts, the connection to the computer must be made through the USB port, which is the one on the right of the photograph, as the manual indicates. This option is relatively new (V5) on SynScan controllers. In theory, once the connection has been established, the system assigns a serial port directly. From the photo you attached I understand that it is the first in the list that opens, it would be where you should click. For everything to work, remember to have your telescope previously aligned. 

I hope I have been able to help you. Maybe there is a companion who has established the connection using Mac and has more information.

I had difficulty connecting to my PC with my dobsonian using the V5 handset. My AZ-EQ6 connected easily but not my Synscan dobsonian. I ended up using the WiFi signal to connect to the Synscan app on my PC and then use the Synscan app driver to connect it to everything else via ASCOM including Stellarium. Have you downloaded the ASCOM software?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Tuve dificultades para conectarme a mi PC con mi dobsoniano usando el teléfono V5. Mi AZ-EQ6 se conectó fácilmente pero no mi dobsoniano Synscan. Terminé usando la señal WiFi para conectarme a la aplicación Synscan en mi PC y luego usé el controlador de la aplicación Synscan para conectarla a todo lo demás a través de ASCOM, incluido Stellarium. ¿Has descargado el software ASCOM?

He will probably have to do it through ASCOM if when he opens the devices option in Stellarium a driver compatible with his mount does not appear... In this case he should download the appropriate programs and drivers from Support on the official Sky Watcher website. The process may be a little longer...

• Like 1