NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Svbony sv225 alt-azimuth mount

Hi.
I have purchased and been using the svbony sv225 alt-azimuth mount for about three months now. The problem I am having is with the vixen style dovetail clamp that holds the telescope. It has three screws that tighten down on the Dovetail bar causing indentations on both my 127mm maksutov and 90mm refractor telescopes. I would be grateful if anyone can recommend a vixen style dovetail clamp with 2 brass screws that will not damage the Dovetail bar and prefably one that does not require any holes that need to be drilled if this is possible. 

Posted (edited)

Measure the distance between the mounting screws on the mount that secures the existing saddle in place. Once you have these then you can look at the ADM and Geoptik saddles that are sold both at FLO and RVO.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Kenneth Spackman said:

Absolutely stunning. I don't have the skills to do something like that. 

It’s just a thin strip of aluminium placed between the dovetail and the puck, the bolts in the puck gouge a hole in the strip instead of the dovetail. I replace it every 10 years or so.

Edited by dweller25

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kenneth Spackman said:

Hi John. 

Looking at your photo, I was wondering if I should try this myself first before spending out. Do you not get any slipping/sliding. 

Hello Frank 🙂

Nope, that’s a TSA120 in the tube rings, I wouldn’t risk that if there was a chance of slipping.

Edited by dweller25

Thanks everyone, your advice is much appreciated. I will now source a thin strip of aliminum and try this out. I have also been able to accurately measure up the screw holes and feel more confident in buying a new vixen dovetail saddle that won't mark vixen bar. 

On 21/05/2024 at 22:18, dweller25 said:

Hello Frank 🙂

Nope, that’s a TSA120 in the tube rings, I wouldn’t risk that if there was a chance of slipping.

Hi dweller25

I have found a supplyer selling aliminum bars. Can I ask what thickness is the aliminum bar you are using please. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kenneth Spackman said:

Hi dweller25

I have found a supplyer selling aliminum bars. Can I ask what thickness is the aliminum bar you are using please. 

3mm

• Like 1

On 21/05/2024 at 19:23, Kenneth Spackman said:

Absolutely stunning. I don't have the skills to do something like that. 

I use a folded bit of cardboard to do the same thing on another mount 😊.

Hi paulastro

Thanks for your reply. I have today used a piece of cardboard as a template on a piece of 3mm thick aliminum bar as recommended by dweller25 and works brilliantly and also holds well. This has saved me quite a few quid and no need to change the vixen dovetail clamp. Thank you all. 

• Thanks 1

On 21/05/2024 at 13:34, dweller25 said:

It’s just a thin strip of aluminium placed between the dovetail and the puck, the bolts in the puck gouge a hole in the strip instead of the dovetail. I replace it every 10 years or so.

Makes me wonder if a mending plate would do the trick.  I use 3-in long plates taped to my OTAs to hold my magnetic-base Wixey angle gauge.