Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAL 2 50mm finderscope convert to telescope?

Posted (edited)

I have just bought a TAL 2 Newtonian that came with a lovely 50mm finderscope, now we know how good the optics are on these so I am considering converting it to a refractor in its own right!

The back looks like it unscrews, and if I can remove it then I will offer up a eyepiece to see where it focuses and then see what I’ll need to do next.   My thoughts are to make it a small Astrophotography- refractor, with the likes of what Cuiv the lazy geek had done with his skywatcher ED 50mm.

what do you think? Feasible ?

chaz

IMG_8005.jpeg

IMG_8007.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Interesting project but the main problem I should think is getting a suitable focuser to fit. Be careful that you dont alter the finder so much that any modification is not reversable.

We've all been there (albeit mostly in our early days) we mess with equipment for some project or other that falls through rendering the piece useless.

Case in point I recently reserected my Tal 2 after over 20 years to discover a small hole drilled through  the finder support bracket and several small holes in the main tube as well and for the life of me I cant remember doing it or why!🤪

In my case its nothing serious and easily repairable if I ever want to.

Edited by Les Ewan

1 hour ago, Les Ewan said:

!In my case its nothing serious and easily repairable if I ever want to.

Are you taking tablets for that? Oddhole syndrome?😂

I placed a couple of eyepieces into the end after removing the rear crosshair eyepiece, now is that a lump! Found focus simply by moving it in or out.

I’m hoping the Russians went metric on this, it would make it whole lot easier. I could 3D print parts and see what results I get, but it looks as if you need a lot of infocus, not good.

But….my ZWO camera might come to focus without to much hassle.

chaz

• Like 1

I converted a 50mm RACI, but it came with a helical focuser on it.  All I had to do was add a spacer to get enough back focus so my EPs would come to focus.  It's crazy light and small for travel (or stealthy observing 😁) and does tolerably well, especially under dark skies.

Posted (edited)

I have an Orion 50mm straight through starfinder, the optical quality is not as great as the TAL, plus I’m sure the TAL finder tube originated from their military gun shops! Lol.

The back plate also unscrews I believe but I don’t have a tool capable of removing it. Other than a flat blade screwdriver and hammer that is!

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
Too many.. buts!