NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Texas Solar Eclipse - Second refraction "corona"

I had a great time in Texas, even though the day of the eclipse was a bit touch and go with the clouds. I was tracking weather patterns setting off from Austin and ended up at a ranch near Gatesville. Just a dozen of people around me. Fortunately I had already watched a cloudless eclipse in '17, so in a sense this one behind clouds gave me something different. The most obvious thing was a refraction/rainbow effect, which, as I found out is called "corona" (yes, just like the sun's atmosphere) and caused by water droplets in the clouds. So most of my photos featured 2 different coronas... So here's for example how my diamond ring shots look like:

IMG_3377lp.thumb.jpg.17df809de0f4d07510889ed5f3be35f3.jpg

About half of my ~200 shots (automated with Eclipse Orchestrator) were not useful. Most of my brackets were very cloudy so couldn't really be HDR-merged, but here is what I could get out of the least cloudy bracket:

IMG_3437HDRlpmp.thumb.jpg.c2da5045e4d436807750d17dac767353.jpg

If you are curious about more details and photos, I put them up a blog post.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Amazing images. That first one is breathtakingly beautiful. except for the moon and sun it looks like nebula.

Do you mind if save a copy and share it with the members of my local astro society? They'll love it.

Edited by glafnazur
Added text
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, glafnazur said:

Amazing images. That first one is breathtakingly beautiful. except for the moon and sun it looks like nebula.

Do you mind if save a copy and share it with the members of my local astro society? They'll love it.

As long as you don't sell the images, it's all good :D  

• Thanks 1