Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Az Gti random target centring issue.

I'm still learning/practising guiding with my Az GTi and ZS61, last night I tried M13 but it was way off centre. After 6 x 3 minute subs and chose a different target, this time M81 and it was centred perfectly and I got 12 x 3 minute subs.

Both images have no calibration frames with minimal processing but are just to illustrate the centering.

siril stretgched Bodes_az_gti_zs61_guiding_test-RGB-session_1-crop-St_GraXpert-SharpenAI-StandardDXo14April_DxO.jpg

Light_Stack_29_DxO.jpg

Hi Laurence.

Which stars did you use for the Star Alignment ?

M81 may have been much closer to the area bounded by the Alignment stars.

But it was on the sensor, which could be considered an acceptable GoTo.

Just needed centering.

Michael

• Thanks 1

After you do a goto and plate solving has confirmed target is centred you can do a "sync to mount" which "should" sort it out. I've never done it as plate solving takes the need out of it.

• Thanks 1

If you use ASI Air to go-to, it should plate solve after the go-to, and apply minor adjustments to center the target. 

Did you allow enough time to check/center?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 900SL said:

If you use ASI Air to go-to, it should plate solve after the go-to, and apply minor adjustments to center the target. 

Did you allow enough time to check/center?

I always wait until the red "stop" button turns off which normally indicates that the target is centered as does the text notification.

Oddly the identical thing happened the other night when I was imaging M3 with my ZWO Seestar. The target was off centred in exactly the same way and I was able to recentre it manually.

I wonder if there is an issue with the ZWO/Asiair algorithm plate solving star clusters.

Edited by LaurenceT

3 hours ago, 900SL said:

... unless it's turned off in the mount config tab. I do it often when work on my projects at home, so no stars - no plate solve. 

I would never just accept what a plate solve gave me: I'd always want to refine the framing by hand. I look out for the stars which give an attractive framing and there can be off-shot glows or flares to avoid as well.

Olly

I always plan in Telescopius then import into asiair but only on creative framing, singular targets the asiair gets it centre every time usually after around 2 or 3 iterations of plate solving and adjustments, has worked on all my mounts and camera lenses, telescope setups. The only issue is usually when I use an uncooled camera due to the noise level it mistakes noise for stars and fails to plate solve, when doing narrowband you have to increase the plate solve exposure time so stars can saturate the sensor in order to solve. Don't think it's an issue with the software.