NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seestar question

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask I can't find section for the seestar 

OK when you use your seestar do you leave it on auto in the imaging or do you change setting like you would if it was a proper imaging set up I ask because what I get back is a very poor image only once have I had a good image back and that was orion nebula? 

If the seestar is idiot proof I just proved it's not or I must be a special idiot lol 

Here is m51 it's only a 7 min exposure  but even after 30 mins it's not much better

The really good images I see on here is it in the processing ec995882-80dc-4c38-a0d4-e6eb61dc80e3.thumb.jpg.fd68c2329b0d41789ed683cff5ca4174.jpg

Your M51 looks typical for a Seestar image at 7 mins. One of our club members just bought a Seestar and showed us some quite impressive images but he ran it for more like 90 minutes with all subs stored separately and then post-processed them.

Spiral arms tend to remain dim in the smartphone output.

1 hour ago, Neil H said:

I can't find section for the seestar 

Most Seestar posts are under 'Equipment/Whole Setups' or whatever it's called.

• Like 1

These are 2 images downloaded from my Seestar onto my tablet. Both are unmodified, but with the second one I made slight adjustments with the Seestar app's brightness/contrast/saturation sliders whilst the image was building.

1713566288854(M51).thumb.jpg.d16d69ef745570aacb849986dab173bc.jpg

1713309011537(M51).thumb.jpg.5d9148771cca51bb250706fdd960cc7e.jpg

Geoff

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neil H said:

Well I had a much better time with seestar over the weekend , images were much better after a few adjustments

I think that you will get more of these "much better time" sessions as you get familiar with the Seestar. It also helps if you have good seeing conditions. In my 2 examples, above, if you look closely at the first one, there is more fine detail, but the second one looks nicer. I have often found that the Seestar's default settings remain very close to the best compromise, given that you only have basic adjustments available.

I have an external hard drive filling up with my raw Seestar and Dwarf II FIT files, so that, when I have developed the skill, I can process the images with Siril etc., but at the moment I am happy with the images direct to my tablet.

Geoff

• Like 1