NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar filter recomendations for Canon EF 800mm F5.6?

Might have left it a bit late, but...

Can anyone recommend a good quality solar filter for the EF 800mm? It takes 52mm drop in filters. I'd prefer visible light, but not sure what is easily available.

You can't go wrong with one of these! They attach to the front of the lens. They're quite fragile; but cheap and easy to replace if you damage the foil. That's the only way you should consider using a solar filter, I don't think drop-in filters are an option for solar. Safety first!

• Like 1

Why don't you make your own filter holder out of cardboard like many people do when using solar film and attach it over the front of the lens?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leo S said:

Might have left it a bit late, but...

Can anyone recommend a good quality solar filter for the EF 800mm? It takes 52mm drop in filters. I'd prefer visible light, but not sure what is easily available.

Is the front threaded Leo?

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. Gives me some food for thought.

I did notice the loose films. How do people normally attach the cardboard holders to the scope/lens?

@Budgie1 Are those "drop in"? I think 50 or 60mm would be too small/large perhaps?

Ahh, OK... after another look I see they are for objectives, in which case they are all too small. The front lens needs 150+ mm to cover it. I'll have a look for alternatives. Thanks for the links.

@Stu There's no thread, but there's a lip with a groove behind it to attach the hood. It looks like it needs something that will fit between ~153-155mm.