Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More sunspots. May 7 2024

MZack

Posted (edited)

Took advantage of the clear skies in the morning. Used my old Irving 70mm Refractor F12.8 for todays drawing. Showing 3663 and 3664 which appears to have split into two groups one now being labelled 3668

IMG_1828.jpeg

Edited by MZack
  • Like 9

Thanks Ian. Probably the most detailed/populated sunspot groups I’ve done. They have got more and more complex as we reach maximum. 

I had a look atnthe sunspots this morning and was surprised at the changes in less than 24 hours. The complex of Sunspots near the centre of the disk is quite amazing. I look forward to seeing so e more sketches.

Cheers

Ian

• Thanks 1

Thought I’d share a quick update on sunspot group 3664 today. It continues to grow and has over 60 spots according to SpaceWeatherLive. Drawing done at 15:00 to 15:18 UT. Haze and increasing cirrus. 70mm Irving refractor x72

IMG_1835.jpeg

• Like 5

The group 3664 is astounding. When the the seeing settled the numerous fainter sunspots popped out. Very good sketch 😀.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

As sunspot group 3664 heads towards the limb I thought I’d add a final sketch under this posting done today May 9th. 4 inch refractor, Nagler 13mm x115. I’ve heard that this group is nearly as large as the one noted by Carrington which caused the Carrington event!

IMG_1839.jpeg

• Like 4