Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

May 2, 2024: My first northern lights (I think)

I got alarms on both SpaceWeather and Aurora apps, and as the sky was clear, I went to my favourite spot with relatively dark skies and clear northern horizon (Aduarderzijl). Nothing was visible with the naked eye, but My camera seems to pick up a purplish-red glow low over only the northern horizon. It was absent elsewhere. I took a series of shots with my Canon EOS-M6 mk-II, with Canon 22 mm F/2 lens (similar to 35mm in full frame), and stitched them in MS-ICE. A tweak of curves in Gimp gives this result

IMG_0250_stitch.thumb.jpg.6a05e77c9ce24983b9eb112f7a82ca3d.jpg

Not brilliant, but because the purplish red colour only appears to the north, I do believe these are my first northern lights

• Like 12

Nicely captured. 

I just checked my remote allsky camera and it also captured a pink glow below Cassiopiea. The timelapse from tonight might show more when it gets generated.

• Like 1

Definitely Michael - nice capture and always exciting to capture from locations that "shouldn't" capture the aurora!  Last night's was captured in the Austrian Alps as well.  

My friend Jeroen had a great display form the Netherlands back in February last year:

• Like 1