NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light with C8 Edge HD

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 15:27, Vic L S said:

That would be so helpful, thank you! 

Sorry, didn't get a chance to look at this last night. My 174MM mini comes into focus at this point. The sensor is about 1.5mm below the top of the holder as its 52.5mm from back of camera. If we were to replace my camera now with yours the sensor would be 12.5mm above the holder and I don't think there's 11mm inward travel on the helical focuser. So I would have to say with the 0.7 reducer you wouldn't be able to focus your camera. It should work though without the reducer as the backfocus is a further 30mm out. I would do some research though to see what camera most people use with this setup. As u mentioned above, the prism doesn't go down far into the light path with the reducer so a smaller sensor may struggle to pick up stars.

20240430_201743.jpg

Screenshot_20240430_203220_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240430_203432_Chrome.jpg

Edited by david_taurus83
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Sorry, didn't get a chance to look at this last night. My 174MM mini comes into focus at this point. The sensor is about 1.5mm below the top of the holder as its 52.5mm from back of camera. If we were to replace my camera now with yours the sensor would be 12.5mm above the holder and I don't think there's 11mm inward travel on the helical focuser. So I would have to say with the 0.7 reducer you wouldn't be able to focus your camera. It should work though without the reducer as the backfocus is a further 30mm out. I would do some research though to see what camera most people use with this setup. As u mentioned above, the prism doesn't go down far into the light path with the reducer so a smaller sensor may struggle to pick up stars.

20240430_201743.jpg

Screenshot_20240430_203220_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240430_203432_Chrome.jpg

Thank you. Will save this as reference! Will be keeping an eye out for a secondhand OAG, fingers crossed. 

A bit more testing last night. Redone a set of flats but this time dimmed the flats panel and took 5s Lum flats and 5s darks. This has cured the bright central spot and appears to have corrected the lights properly. I only took about 30 x 60s light frames as a test but starting to look promising. Guiding wasnt great last night due to all the thin cloud so star shapes a little pointy. I'm not entirely convinced its all guiding though. I'm sure my secondary screws are on the tight side so I may need to look at this again, especially now with warmer weather the scope is getting warm and cold every 24 hours so it could be a pinched secondary. Do i really need to check/adjust collimation and take new flats every night? Also, I'm not sure what the dark patch is on the bottom right of the lights image as it doesnt match anything in the flats though i suppose thats what cropping is for.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 125017.png