NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help Please - Banding issue when doing lunar

Hey everyone, maybe someone has some ideas on what’s causing this. 

I’m using Sharpcap Pro on a Beelink SE12; the computer is brand new essentially. About a week ago I tried doing some lunar imaging using my ASI533MC. I know this is a DSO camera but I figured couldn’t hurt. When I took a 2 min clip and tried to load it into AutoStakkert it generated some weird banding as seen below. 

I tried to tweak my exposure to 7ms and have auto white balance on. Biggest ROI for the camera. I don’t know or think the camera is broken because I took it outside during the day and no issues. I also changed the USB cable. 

Today I tried again 3 more times. Can you all take a look and give me your thoughts as to the issue? Thanks in advance. 

IMG_9101.png

IMG_9102.png

IMG_9103.png

Are you using the right alignment point method? The surface of the moon should have dozens/hundreds of alignment points on it prior to solving the stacking.

• Like 1

From memory, the ZWO camera driver has a USB bandwidth setting (USB Traffic or USB Limit?) and ZWO used to forewarn users that if the bandwidth setting was set too aggressively then horizontal banding may occur at high frame rates.

I don’t use SharpCap or ZWO cameras myself but I suspect that USB bandwidth setting is still buried in the ZWO driver setup somewhere and may need to be reduced a little at a time until the banding is no longer seen.

Other causes of horizontal image banding may be due to impermissible ground-loops where different floating power supplies used to power the computer, mount and camera etc., are commonly connected to ground by the camera’s USB cable.

What does the raw recording look like? Check whether it has this banding or not to rule out capture and camera issues. If you captured as .SER you can download SER player to look at the recorded video.

Whether you have banding or not, check these settings:

AS3settings.JPG.201ac952976a4a191369f2072384bf7f.JPG

If you do have actual horizontal banding, try enabling the Row Noise Correction option, and of course try to fix the issue for the next time as your camera really shouldn't have any issues with banding at all. If you dont have banding in the raw recording make sure this option is off, as it can actually create the bands if you have it enabled when there is no banding.

@Elpsuggested the alignment points, which is also something you need to see to. Its not apparent from your screenshots whether you had them or not, but you do need them.