NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Remote observatories

There are literally shedloads of remote telescopes these days. Can they be economically used for EAA?  I realise this is at odds with the near real time concept but the idea of getting multiple 2 minute exposures of (for example) southern hemisphere objects, might be appealing. 

Edited by Richard N

I've only looked at the FLO offering and thought that was prohibitively expensive. Have you come across lower cost options?

In my quest for interesting objects to observe I often come across southern hemisphere objects that I will never be able to see from the UK (the Vela SNR being the most recent example). A suitably located remote telescope would be nice for these.

Do the folk in the southern hemisphere feel the same?  If so, then it sounds like an ideal opportunity to find a ‘telescope friend’ and offer each other some time on their own scopes.

Of course, they’d have to put up with the UK weather windows (or lack of them!)

Tony

I’ve often wondered whether remote EAA could be a thing.  I think it’s something I would have to try to see whether it provides the same kind of thrill as a home based EAA system. Sadly, I think even with a simple low cost remote setup, it would still be expensive for our humble EAA needs. 

Prompted by this question I've taken a look at iTelescope and they do have some nice looking kit in some interesting places. These setups seem to be aimed at AP though. I can see how that might work, paying for data captured by a 20" so that you could enjoy the post processing part. I'm not sure that it would work for EAA though.

I like the idea of sharing with a buddy in the south though. I suppose the simplest was to do that would be via a live video broadcast which some do already.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2024 at 19:57, AKB said:

Do the folk in the southern hemisphere feel the same?  If so, then it sounds like an ideal opportunity to find a ‘telescope friend’ and offer each other some time on their own scopes.

Tony

Now that's a very good idea, Tony - especially in my case because we don't have to offer UK weather, here!

My thinking cap is on...

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

My thinking cap is on...

So who is the ‘southern hemisphere Olly Penrice’ ?

Tony

PS: I would expect scope time in lieu of royalties for use of the idea. 

• Like 2

On 20/04/2024 at 18:57, AKB said:

Tony

What you need to do is to find a frustrated cloud photographer in a clear sky area and offer a swap ...

• Haha 1

On 21/04/2024 at 14:32, Richard N said:

I have emailed one of the remote observatories to see if an hour of EAA is possible. 

Telescope Live replied. They said no to EAA style scheduling. 

• Like 1