Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A first serious lunar sketch

SwiMatt

I finally managed to test out my training in real life, with a sketch of an unknown feature. I loved every bit of it, and am happy with the result (especially compared to my first, terrible lunar sketch).

I thought it was the Ptolemy chain, but comparing pictures it does not seem correct. I don't own an Atlas yet, but I'd love to know what I have sketched! 

20240414_221817.jpg

Edited by SwiMatt
Typo
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Great sketches of Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina. Not easy targets by any means, and as a first real life attempt I think the sketches are excellent. Anton Rukle's Atlas of the Moon is hard to beat.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Great sketches of Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina. Not easy targets by any means, and as a first real life attempt I think the sketches are excellent. Anton Rukle's Atlas of the Moon is hard to beat.

Thank you! I also tried adding details to the Rupes Altai just below but my my, it's as intricate as it is beautiful!

• Like 1

You picked a nice group to “apply your training” 😃

A fascinating and aesthetic area of the lunar surface Ann lovely sketch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, josefk said:

You picked a nice group to “apply your training” 😃

A fascinating and aesthetic area of the lunar surface Ann lovely sketch. 

It was right in the middle of the eyepiece at bit off the terminator, impossible to miss!

And incidentally, that's L7 (Rupes Altai) and L8 (Teophilus, Cyrillus, and Catharina) of the Lunar 100 :grin: the moment Mike named them I recognized the names I saw on the list :icon_rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, josefk said:

Lunar 100? An Astronomical League observing challenge? 

It's a Moon observing program proposed by Charles A. Wood on Sky&Telescope: https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/the-lunar-100/

A colleague of mine suggested I gave it a try and after I started a few months ago I haven't had much time with the Moon, so I'm still in the early phases...

• Like 1