NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wither the GSO/Rev Astro 1.25" Quartz Diagonal?

I used to have what I'm sure was a Revelation Astro 1.25" Quartz Diagonal, which like many really useful (and cheap for what they were) bits you think you'll never need again, you flog and live to regret years later. I now have mostly 1.25" EPs and one scope that only takes 1.25" accessories - a Skymax 127. I've looked around but can't seem to find what I think I had, even second hand...

By the look of it the StellaMira and Founder diagonal seem to be the nearest modern iteration/clone. Or am I wrong?

I can remember having a few diagonals back then and never really being able to tell the difference in any repeatable fashion. On the basis that at this price they're all good enough, that I'm not going to spend Baader/Televue money but do like a twistlock EP holder, is there anything better than the Founder 1.25" diagonal at FLO for the money? The fact the green matches the dovetail of the 127 also appeals to the tart in me.

Russ

Edited by russ.will
Spelin.

Given where its made, it is like a spiffed-up GSO.

It's probably fine.  It's likely the same maker as William Optics, Astrotech, etc (GSO).

I might recommend something higher end if you had an AstroPhysics 6" or something like that.

But your only risk is internal collimation, which you can fix if you take your time.

• Like 1

I have both the quartz and regular version of the 2" GSO-made dielectric diagonal.  I can't tell the difference visually between them.

Just avoid the 1.25" diagonals with the curvy eyepiece receiver.  They have a rather large lip at the bottom that causes vignetting with widest true field of view 1.25" eyepieces:

Here's another good thread about various diagonals and clear aperture:

• Like 1