NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'Galaxy' scope for imaging.. choices

1 hour ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Careful not to get indoctrinated to the cult of newtonian imaging, its a slippery slope 🙂.

How windy is it in your place? Newtonians love to sail in windy conditions, this scope is long enough that you might need some shielding from wind.

I've just come in from the garage, where I've built a 1.5m high folding wind break from scrap decking and plywood. It should work well, it is three sided (U shape) and attaches to existing fence line, so well braced. Open top and bottom so shields scope and mount, but allows wind to flow around and over/under

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I've just come in from the garage, where I've built a 1.5m high folding wind break from scrap decking and plywood. It should work well, it is three sided (U shape) and attaches to existing fence line, so well braced. Open top and bottom so shields scope and mount, but allows wind to flow around and over/under

Well prepared i see, sounds like a great setup.

3 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Well prepared i see, sounds like a great setup.

Wait till it blows over and takes my mount and scope out, Oskari 😀

20 hours ago, 900SL said:

a 1.5m high folding wind break

Good idea.

The other main enemy is tube flex and lateral mirror flop. If you want to use a guide telescope (GT), the tube can be stiffened using a (at least) 400mm long Losmandy style dovetail with the rings tied rigidly along the top with sturdy box section aluminium. Clamp the GT directly to the latter. Or use an off-axis guider; you've loadsa room with a 533.

The mirror is easily held with either double sided silicone adhesive pads or blobs of neutral silicone sealant.
Cheers and HTH

Edited by alacant

4 hours ago, alacant said:

Good idea.

The other main enemy is tube flex and lateral mirror flop. If you want to use a guide telescope (GT), the tube can be stiffened using a (at least) 400mm long Losmandy style dovetail with the rings tied rigidly along the top with sturdy box section aluminium. Clamp the GT directly to the latter. Or use an off-axis guider; you've loadsa room with a 533.

The mirror is easily held with either double sided silicone adhesive pads or blobs of neutral silicone sealant.
Cheers and HTH

Thanks Alacant

I'll PM if I have any issues once I receive and set up the scope. What do you use to collimate? Cheshire etc?

16 minutes ago, 900SL said:

collimate

Very easy. A quick look with a Cheshire sight tube is all you need. One with cross hairs makes the job easier. Just remember that there is no noticeable secondary offset for f8, so the primary reflection will appear central.

• Thanks 1