Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StarHuggers Rainbow of Lights / March 6th 2024

Celebrating Today my finally completing this set of colour filters after a year of experimentation and testing and tomorrows Solar Eclipse all at once it seems... All true colour rendering, imaging and coloured glass filtering in Newtons own 5 Monochromatic Lights of course...

Have an Awesome Week Everyone !

393nm Calcium

1000000741-01.png.ab44eca583cd31260292f4b216739850.png

1000000742-01.png.c9d9a3e5763bd245c5132f62b01e038d.png

486nm Hydrogen

1000000745-01.png.3f98873bdbd17e832d61b5c3319463fa.png

1000000746-01.png.5deff413b13a8b5a8eedb90d384c4f35.png

518nm Magnesium

1000000753-01.png.9001956b6b6a414c06849ea9e65998cd.png

1000000754-01.png.16d1aa9573ba713e7a37b5c9dd758ccc.png

588nm Sodium

1000000757-01.png.ffb6e3a1b2d1320ab5f5ebc7d2ce45cb.png

1000000758-01.png.b596c5229380a9dcd901681b2e5124a0.png

720nm Narrowband Near Infrared

1000000786-01.png.7bed001ad24b1562a8b7b53da73d1d4e.png

1000000750-01.png.be212b86c5a452406ff706c44c8733d1.png

70x420mm / SolarWedge / IMX385-Colour / StarHuggers Filters

200 / 6000 /.8-6ms

Edited by StarHugger
  • Like 4

• StarHugger changed the title to StarHuggers Rainbow of Lights / March 6th 2024

meant with genuine curiosity as i'm interested in learning more; what is the point of custom color filters? Do you write out the process of making them anywhere?

you do a great job these colors are all so vivid! i really love the calcium, hydrogen, and infrared. the inverted colors render the details exceptionally well

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for you interest. No problem at all,

This is the long known method of stacking colour filters for planetary visual observations reimagined by me and adapted for Solar Visual Observations and Solar Imaging, for solar transmission its of no issue and I can adjust a solar wedge through neutral density applications down to a tested 5% or the total available light bypass and can get the near exact exposure 2-6ms  for any wavelength I create and any barlow I run with it in most any small refractor I choose.

The three coloured glass filter design elements are two that overlap creating the bandpass of my choice with specific set of cheap colour and other cheap colour based astronomy filters I collect and test both through colour chart identification and as compared to each other, you see this is all done colour based without a spectrum analyzer and using my colour camera in place of one and an accumulated collectors knowlege of the filters out there and thier stated spectra. Cheap filters because three are needed for each filter stack, two to graph the bandpass and a third to envelope the Ir or Uv or the more usual Ir Uv cut. Not having a camera dedicated Ir Uv protective  glass and having a wedge modified to cope with cartriging the filter stacks and managing densities easily are key.

The cameras colours are then tuned in capture by histogram to the filter stacks colour response, again restating colour also being an easy semi accurate test method for wavelength identification and these are the reasons this method will not work with mono cameras as I get asked often enough if I can build a filter for a mono camera or quickly reveal my tac so they can just do spectroheliofiltergraphy in B&W lol... The colour inversions are done through subtraction, whatever colour your resulting sun and you invert it you  just subtract the one or two colours responsible for the correction and since you have only rgb to test the possible combinations it will be always found easily and swiftly in post.

Shortly after discovering all this and developing the first prototypes and methods I thought it be nice to concieve and build a complete project or set, one never done or seen by anyone in history coming up with 5 lights across the spectum monochromatically correct but defined by specific narrow and semi broadband selections.

Edited by StarHugger
  • Thanks 1

Forgive my doubts but isn't your "filtering" just colouring white light images to personal taste? There is no narrow band filtration involved. As most of us would define H-alpha, Calcium, or any other widely accepted solar imaging frequency/wavelength.

Your coloured filters don't apply monochromatism. Because they simply don't have that capability. Their pass band is far too wide. Even when stacked. One cannot stand inside a church window and say the pretty red view of the sun outside is "Infra" or "H-alpha" anything. Nor does the royal purple view have anything to do with Calcium in the solar spectrum. Except by accident in matching the visual impression at the eyepiece of a real, solar telescope.  

Your "results" could more easily be achieved with free imaging software. Just as many solar imagers apply false colours to their B&W monochromatic images to show their personal preferences. Usually to match their own visual impression of the vibrant, original colour. As seen at the eyepiece of their hideously expensive, solar telescope.

Monochromatic light is tightly filtered to a very narrow bandwidth by multiple, precision, optical components. The narrower the bandwidth the greater the expense.

Finally, there is the serious risk of others less knowledgeable: Copycats trying to view the sun with "cheap" coloured filters. Leading to severe eye damage or even permanent blindness. Your "cheap" coloured filters offer ZERO PROTECTION from the sun's harmful rays. Not even when squinting through them at the "naked eye" sun overhead. Adding your "cheap" filters to any optical instrument to look at the sun is almost guaranteed to cause instant and permanent blindness. Or severe and permanent eye damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@Rusted

Don't let yourself get dragged into his nonsensical waffling.

He'll be coming up with the iron sun "ferrets" nonsense soon and then hopping on the ever descending spiral that he's ridden to the depths on every other astronomy forum out there before heading back to his master Apollo Lasky's lap to lick his wounds yet again.

This would be better off being sent packing to Reddit , the last bastion of snake-oil mutterings .

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

These are indeed notched bandwiths all below 20nm and as narrow as 2nm for the Calcium, but I only share image results and then methods and reasons when asked. Recipes I do not share ever and are not forsale at any price.

Safety, Nothing is done outside the visual spectrum and only with proper infrared and ultraviolet protections in place that are recomended standard by most solar filter manufacturers

I use my camera to measure amplitude and record all my arrangements for repeated testing and use.

I and my imaging are as real as I describe though I only ask you all to consider these results as mine and judge them based on not assumption but inquirey for wich I have been forth coming.

And completely 1000 percent truthful...

Edited by StarHugger