Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help choosing light pollution filter

Apologies if this has been asked 100's of times.

I'm struggling to decided on what light pollutions filter to choose for DSLR

I shoot with a Nikon System D7200 and various lenses but mainly Tokina 11-20mm F2.8, Nikon 50mm F1.8

Clip in or front of the lens I'm not precious so long as it does a job.

Many thanks

YSWS

What level of light pollution do you have to deal with, and what sort of targets are you most interested in?

With your lenses i am assuming you are mostly doing milky way/very wide field imaging, which is mostly broadband and no filter will really help with light pollution. If you wanted to improve emission nebulae within the milky way then you could slot in a narrowband filter of some kind, but not sure that's what you're after.

On 02/04/2024 at 00:58, ONIKKINEN said:

What level of light pollution do you have to deal with, and what sort of targets are you most interested in?

With your lenses i am assuming you are mostly doing milky way/very wide field imaging, which is mostly broadband and no filter will really help with light pollution. If you wanted to improve emission nebulae within the milky way then you could slot in a narrowband filter of some kind, but not sure that's what you're after.

Thanks and well figured out from my vague post

Yes Milkyway bortle 3 mostly

14 minutes ago, Your Star Will Shine said:

Bortle 3 is excellent, so no point in a light pollution filter unless your camera is astromodified in which case you'd need an extra UV/IR cut filter. If the camera is stock, you're all set for some great images and no filter is necessary.

52 minutes ago, Your Star Will Shine said:

You will only need a IR/UV filter if you have had your DSLR full spectrum modified