Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some more eclipse practice

Scooot

This is from a little 4k video with my Canon 250D and Canon EF 100-300mm Zoom lens set at 300mm, mounted on a star adventurer. Will be using my baby tak for visual. Probably over processed it? I took the video on auto exposure because of lots of clouds, but set it at -3 compensation. 

sunmvi_0241.mp4_lapl6_ap2085.thumb.png.c3180339d6c37e7fb82e1cfb43906cad.png

• Like 3

That is pretty good. If you use automatic metering, spot-metering might be best, as long as the sun stays in the centre of the image. If there aren't any clouds, I would go for manual exposure (I will be using two planetary cameras with FireCapture, and will opt for manual exposure).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

That is pretty good. If you use automatic metering, spot-metering might be best, as long as the sun stays in the centre of the image. If there aren't any clouds, I would go for manual exposure (I will be using two planetary cameras with FireCapture, and will opt for manual exposure).

Thanks for the advice Michael. I forgot to say, it is a stack, not a single image, in case you were wondering.

I had it on centre weighted metering, wondered about spot, but thought if my polar alignment isn’t too good might not be best. For a short video before and during totality should be ok but I’ve been thinking about a Timelapse for the partial stage so might get more drift with that. If I get another chance I’ll try spot.

I manually focussed with this but tried auto focus today and it worked quite well, switched back to manual as soon as it had focussed. I must say having a flip screen makes it much easier than with my old 450d. The focus wheel on this lens is also quite sturdy as well, bought it second hand for this.

I’ve chosen to video because I want to do as little as possible and watch. Also the audio of all the surroundings should be interesting. 

Where are you watching from, I’m staying with a friend in Texas? 

Edited by Scooot

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I will be in Stonewall, near Fredericksburg, Texas.

Ah nearby then, we’re planning on watching from The LBJ State Park. I’m hoping the forecast improves, the one he sent me yesterday was for cloud around there. Although he says it’s often cloudy early on and clears up later. 🤞 

Edited by Scooot

1 hour ago, Scooot said:

Ah nearby then, we’re planning on watching from The LBJ State Park. I’m hoping the forecast improves, the one he sent me yesterday was for cloud around there. Although he says it’s often cloudy early on and clears up later. 🤞 

Fingers crossed!