Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help with Nikon D3100

Hi, I'm trying to start out in astrophotography with a Nikon D3100, however it keeps showing an error. I'm using the Celestron Inspire 100az using a t-ring and t-adapter. Anytime I try to look at the live view, it shows an error that usually says "Press Shutter Release again." Is there any way to fix this?

Does the shutter fire with no lens or T-Ring attached ?

Have you set exposure and focus to manual ?

The camera may be trying to connect to an autofocus lens.

Michael

Edited by michael8554

Usually with bodies there's an option in the menu somewhere along the lines of "shutter release without lens attached", it needs to be set to off as if you were using a manual only lens (as the scope is your "manual" lens).

The Nikon "press shutter release again error" is a well known issue for that and similar era Nikon's. So I think it probably has nothing to do with your astro use. Do a Google search for various "fixes" either involving adjusting a slightly jammed mirror mechanism or rotating/greasing and internal red cogwheel. Neither of these are proper fixes and I think the real issue is a worn out or otherwise damaged shutter/motor mechanism. I've had the same issue on D3200 and D5100 cameras, with the D5100 it was intermittent and actually seemed to resolve itself so maybe it was temperature related?

1 hour ago, PhilB61 said:

You do have to rotate the top dial to M manual for it to work without a camera lens

I've just checked on my D3100 and you get a "Lens not attached" message in any mode other than M. I've never seen the "Press shutter release..." message on mine.