Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Folks in Oxfordshire, advice please!

Cjg

Advice please!
If I were to visit and set up a camera looking East from the hill with the White Horse of Uffington, just how bad is the light pollution from Reading to the East or from the towns and villages to the South?

The light pollution map suggests the area is a Bortle 4, but I’m struggling to visualise just how much the sky glow would be. ( Last visited the area some 25 years ago) 
Thanks,

Chris

The main National Trust car park would have the east view blocked by trees. You would be more impacted by the light polllution from Wantage and DIdcot which is pretty bad. The disabled car aprk would be better but it would dpend on what you were trying to do.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, icpn said:

The main National Trust car park would have the east view blocked by trees. You would be more impacted by the light polllution from Wantage and DIdcot which is pretty bad. The disabled car aprk would be better but it would dpend on what you were trying to do.

Thank you, I’m looking at finding a spot from one of those hills to possibly photograph the MW core in the early hrs one morning.

It has been years since I last visited Uffington White Horse. I agree with @icpn and the 'skyglow' of light pollution from Didcot and Wantage is pretty bad. One of the not so pleasant things about living down south is there is so much of it! 

Be interesting to see your images if you do go ahead with it and good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

It has been years since I last visited Uffington White Horse. I agree with @icpn and the 'skyglow' of light pollution from Didcot and Wantage is pretty bad. One of the not so pleasant things about living down south is there is so much of it! 

Be interesting to see your images if you do go ahead with it and good luck.

Thank you! 

• Thanks 1

I would wait until later in the year when the Milky Way is to the south as there is less light pollution that way however Saggittarius is always low so that may be a challenge. What kind of camera were you thinking of using?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, icpn said:

I would wait until later in the year when the Milky Way is to the south as there is less light pollution that way however Saggittarius is always low so that may be a challenge. What kind of camera were you thinking of using?

Thanks, think the core will be to the South from 3am'ish. Camera is a Sony A7R mark 2 will probably use the 20mm lens and the Ioptron Sky Guider for the sky. Although looking at the weather and moon.....

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 09.23.36.png

Edited by Cjg