Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3.76μm + 2x Focal Extender vs. 2μm + Extender and 2x binning for Planetary

I have an ASI533 MC Pro (3.76-micron pixels) I use for DSO imaging with my EdgeHD 8 plus Hyperstar configuration. I've also used the ASI533 with a 2x focal extender for planetary. The sampling is an ideal match. I just bought an ASI678MC (2-micron pixels) for Lunar. The sampling is ideal at my native focal length and gives me a wider FOV. It also acts as my guide camera.

I'm wondering if I would get better results using the ASI678MC with the 2x Barlow and bin 2x. Or similar/better results continuing to use the ASI533MC Pro with my 2x focal extender.

I want a larger-scaled image of the planet with the best resolution possible. Yet I'm still not entirely sure I understand what would result in a better outcome.

Edited by JBGarrity
Adjust title

• JBGarrity changed the title to 3.76μm + 2x Focal Extender vs. 2μm + Extender and 2x binning for Planetary

You are aiming for 5x the pixel size of the camera. The less elements between the camera and telescope the better.

I never found benefit from binning but you can try during the processing.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi JB

I agree with Kon re. binning, but I would ONLY be referring to colour CMOS here. There is just no point.
I know you need to get to the pixel scale required though and it is a pain! :)