NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heated gloves

I use an electric hand warmer for those freezing nights. It's  lithium battery powered and has three heat settings. It generally lasts a session easily 

PXL_20240310_190058637.thumb.jpg.dcf227325c21dc387b03332f389d3afa.jpg

Edited by bosun21
Add photo.
  • Like 1

I've got ski type ones and have used them when there's snow out (so below zero). You don't even feel the cold, as they're waterproof they also don't get damp. But as a result they're a bit thick, but they're also conductive tipped, so for me as an primarily imager I can still use my phone with them on.

• Like 1

I tend to use a pair of disposable gloves with fingerless gloves over the top. I then just pull the tip off the appropriate finger and all is good. I've tried the conductive tip type glove, they work but I just can't seem to get on with them. 

• Like 1

I use those disposable hand warmer packets. Costs 2€ per night, buying heated gloves would only become cheaper after many years, maybe never since batteries dont last forever and it could well be the case that the gloves die before making up for their cost.

But i do have heated socks, which have proven to be a worthy investment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I use those disposable hand warmer packets. Costs 2€ per night, buying heated gloves would only become cheaper after many years, maybe never since batteries dont last forever and it could well be the case that the gloves die before making up for their cost.

But i do have heated socks, which have proven to be a worthy investment.

What sort of heated socks?

34 minutes ago, PatrickO said:

What sort of heated socks?

These: https://varuste.net/en/p129432/therm-ic-powersock-set-heat-first-s-1200

Small batteries attach to the top of the sock with heating strips that run from the top to the toes. They have 3 power levels, the most powerful mode lasts maybe an hour (at -8c) but is quite powerful, kind of like a panic button if my toes freeze. The second heating mode lasts maybe 2-3 hours and is quite comfortable but not very warm. The least powerful mode lasts most of the night, maybe 4 or 5 hours and is a mild heat. I use the lowest mode, it doesn't quite make my feet warm and comfy, but it prevents total freezing. Still requires good boots and thin socks as an underlayer to be nice.

• Like 1

When I was looking for heated gloves for motorcycling I came across Keis heated undergloves. Despite being undergloves they can be used on their own as lightweight gloves. They can be heated by an external 12v power supply, or with Keis's batteries. The only downside is the £80 price.

Rob

• Like 1

+1 for Keiss. I also motorcycle so can justify the cost over two hobbies. I use a heated vest for all session warmth/comfort and the gloves if using the Bino's but prefer just to keep my hands in my pockets when observing with the 'Scope. If your body is warm, your hands tend not to lose heat so quickly. I also use the same Keiss battery/controller to heat the dew ring on my Objective lens to keep the dew at bay.